Other licences & permits

Here you will find information and forms for other Northumberland County Council licenses and permits.

Here you will find information about approved premises for producing food and food products of animal origin.

Application for food premises approval
Your food business may require approval if you intend to use ‘unprocessed products of animal origin', e.g. fresh meat, raw minced meat, raw milk and eggs, to produce any or a combination of the following (subject to approval under regulation (EC) no. 853/2004):
  • minced meat
  • meat preparations
  • mechanically separated meat
  • meat products
  • live bi-valve molluscs
  • fishery products
  • raw milk (other than raw cow’s milk)
  • dairy products
  • eggs (not primary production)
  • egg products
  • frogs' legs and snails
  • rendered animal fats and greaves 
  • treated stomachs, bladders and intestines
  • gelatine and collagen
  • certain cold stores
  • certain wholesale markets
There are a number of requirements which need to be followed and businesses cannot operate until their food operation has been approved by this authority.
If you are a retailer, or have a genuine retail element to your business (i.e. farm gate sales), and intend to supply other retailers or caterers, you could be exempt from approval if the supply of the food of animal origin is ‘marginal, localised and restricted'.

Marginal is interpreted as a small part of the establishment’s business, meaning up to a quarter of the business in terms of food or less than two tonnes in terms of meat.

Localised is interpreted as sales supplying establishments within our own county, plus the greater of either the neighbouring county or counties or 30 miles from the boundary of the supplying establishments county.

Restricted is interpreted as concerning only certain types of products being made or establishments being supplied.
The approval process requires you put in place procedures to manage food safety, and these procedures are based on hazard analysis and critical control points (HACCP) principles.

The HACCP principles are:
  • to identify any hazards that must be prevented, eliminated or reduced to acceptable levels
  • to identify the critical control points (CCPs) at the step(s) at which control is essential to prevent or eliminate a hazard or to reduce it to acceptable levels
HACCP also establishes:
  • a critical limit at those CCPs which separate acceptability from unacceptability for the prevention, elimination or reduction of identified hazards
  • effective monitoring procedures at critical control points, which are also implemented
  • corrective actions when monitoring indicates a CCP is not under control
  • procedures to verify the above measures are working effectively
  • documents and records proportionate with the nature and size of the food business to ensure the above measures are effective 
Before implementing your system, a prerequisite programme should be in place. Consider aspects such as sanitation, training, waste management and pest control.
Once you have put these prerequisites in place, a process workflow for each of your products is advised. This requires you to think about where the raw materials will be stored and managed, stock control and rotation, avoiding raw materials coming into contact with processed products and where the finished product will be stored after production.
If you think your proposed food business may need approval, please contact us to arrange a visit. There may need to be a planned programme in order to achieve approval and employees may need to gain further training proportionate to the size and nature of the business. There will be other information required to be sent with the completed form.

This will include the (proposed) arrangements for:
  • waste collection and disposal arrangements
  • water supply quality testing arrangements
  • arrangements for product testing (shelf life/microbiological/water)
  • pest control arrangements
  • arrangements for monitoring staff health and staff hygiene training
  • record keeping
  • applying the identification mark to product packaging or wrapping
You are also required to have received adequate training in the application of HACCP principles, and for you and your staff to have been instructed or trained in food hygiene matters. If you are unable to find where to receive this training, please contact us as we may be able to direct you to the appropriate trainer.

Once your business is approved, the council will issue your establishment with a unique approval number, which makes up part of the standard identification mark. This must be applied to your products and documentation.
This section provides information on caravan and camping site licences.

The Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 prohibits the use of land as a caravan site without a licence, and Northumberland County Council are responsible for the licencing in this county.

This includes sites that are used for the purposes of touring caravans, static caravans and caravan sites that are used for permanent residential accommodation – also called park homes.

A licence authorises, in accordance with planning consent, the site owner to position caravans intended for the purpose of occupation on any land.

It will set conditions that cover a wide variety of health and safety standards relating to the site, including:
  • restricting when caravans can be on the site for occupancy
  • restricting the number of caravans that can be on the site at any one time
  • controlling the types of caravans on the site
  • controlling the positioning of the caravans or regulating the use of other structures and vehicles
  • fire safety and firefighting controls
  • ensuring sanitary and other facilities, services and equipment are supplied and maintained
  • ensuring steps are taken to enhance the land, including planting/replanting bushes and trees
Each caravan site should display a copy of their current licence and its conditions, including the spacing between caravans, the provision of roadways and fire points.
Before development, all site owners must obtain planning permission. They must comply with any conditions set by the development control section before operating a site. 
For existing caravan parks, all applicable conditions will be attached to the site licence.

The secretary of state sometimes publishes model standards representing what is normally expected as good practice on caravan sites. They do not replace existing conditions but should be considered when applying licence conditions to new sites, sites that have been substantially redeveloped, and when considering variations to existing licences. 

If a current licence condition is adequate, the authority will not normally apply the new standard. If a new standard is to be applied, the local authority should be able to justify its reasons for doing so in regards to the circumstance of the site. It will also state the benefit the standard will achieve and what the interests are to both residents and site owners, including the cost of compliance to the new condition. Helpful documents
The table below shows the five privately owned permanent residential sites in Northumberland, accommodating more than 200 park homes. There are a number of other sites that have a permit for one or two residential units but these are not listed. 
Name and address of park Number of Units
Rose Park Caravan Site
Northumberland, NE23 7TL
Pinewood Grove at Yont the Cleugh
Blenkinsopp Home Park
Bridge End Caravan Park
Brewery Road
NE71 6QG
Ord House Caravan Park
East Ord
TD15 2NS
The council’s current licence conditions cover matters such as:
  • the maintenance and cleanliness of the park
  • the spacing of units from each other
  • the site boundaries and roads
  • the gross density of units on the site (number to the acre)
  • the prohibition of combustible storage sheds between units
  • the width and maintenance of site roads and hard standings
  • fire precautions
  • the storage of bottled gas and the safety of electrical installations
  • water supply and drainage
  • refuse disposal
Sites are inspected on an annual basis to ensure:
  • the basic health and safety of residents and others on parks is achieved
  • physical conditions on the parks are maintained and improved
  • through consultation the views of park operators and residents are considered when licence conditions are being reviewed
The Mobile Homes Act came into effect on 1 April 2014 and was designed to give greater protection to occupiers of residential mobile homes. There are provisions within the act that are aimed at raising standards in the industry and delivering a more professional service to home owners.

There is also more effective enforcement action that can be taken against site operators who do not comply with their licence obligations. This includes compliance notices to deal with these breaches, and will:
  • set out the breaches which have been identified
  • tell the park owner what must be done to correct the breaches
  • tell the park owner when they must correct the breaches
  • explain how the park owner may appeal against the notice
Site rules
The following rules are for all licensed mobile home sites, except those where the occupier rents their mobile home from the site owner or where the mobile home is not legally allowed to be occupied all year round, such as a holiday park.

Most mobile homes sites have rules that are prepared by the site owner for the benefit of both owners and residents, ensuring acceptable standards are maintained. However, to ensure residents are able to exercise their rights, all existing site rules ceased to have effect from February 2015.

Site owners now need to follow a legal process of consulting their residents about the new site rules they wish to introduce. If residents do not agree with these, they can appeal the decision to a tribunal.

There are some laws that will govern what can and cannot be included in site rules. Once the rules have been agreed they must be given to the local authority and we will publish them on our website.

Please note, Northumberland County Council does not have any enforcement powers to object site rules. Please seek legal advice if you disagree with rules in place for your site.

Please see below for our current list and for more information, please read our questions and answers on changes to site rules procedure.
Date Deposited Name and Address of Site Site Rules
10/10/2014 Bridgend Caravan Park
South Road, Wooler, NE71 6QG
Click here to view rules
29/01/2015 Ord House Caravan Park,
East Ord, Northumberland,
 Wooler TD15 2NS
Click here to view rules
03/02/2015 Yont the Cleugh, Coanwood, Haltwhistle, NE49 0QN,  Pinewood Grove Home Park Click here to view rules
11/03/2015 Blenkinsopp Castle Home Park Estate, Greenhead, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA6 7JS Click here to view rules
18/05/2018 Kaims Country Park
East Ord
Berwick upon Tweed
TD15 2NS
Click here to view rules
The law requires that any child of compulsory school age undertaking part-time employment must be registered with the local authority.

If you are under 13 you are not allowed to work.

A complete list of hours children can work can be found in the Child Employment - Guide for Parents and Employers leaflet.

Child employment permits are issued by the education welfare service. Applications should be sent to your local education welfare office. Details of local offices are on the back of the guide for parents and employers.
To apply for a child employment licence or read the information guide, download the documents below.
Licensing is available to protect the health, education and welfare of child entertainers.

Children up until compulsory school leaving age (the last Friday in June in the school year when they turn 16) taking part in entertainment performances or activities may need to be licensed. 
Applications for a child entertainment licence need to be made 21 days before a performance for processing to take place.

Click the documents below for application forms for child entertainers and a guide. Child performance licences are issued by:

Northumbria House
NE23 6UR

Enquiries can be made on 01670 624178. The local authority must be satisfied the arrangements for supervision and protection of the child are adequate.

The law requires children involved in performances must be chaperoned by a licensed person approved by the local authority, unless that person is the child’s parent.
Poorly installed or maintained ventilation and air-conditioning systems can be a health risk. Detailed plans must be submitted for inspection before installing new units, especially in catering establishments.

Anywhere with cooling towers and evaporative condensers must register with the council under the Notification of Cooling Towers and Evaporative Condensers Regulations 1992 (see information and advice).

The purpose of this is to identify areas that could spread infectious diseases, e.g. Legionella, and to ensure measures are taken to reduce risk.
We are always willing to give advice on legislation or practical problems, so if you are considering setting up a business, or wish to discuss anything in relation to your existing premises, please feel free to contact us.
If you control a non-domestic premises, you must notify the council. Notification must be in writing (including by electronic means) on a form approved by the Health and Safety Executive.

You must tell us about any changes in information, including if the device is no longer notifiable, in writing within one month of the change.
Please check when you make your application as it depends upon your particular circumstances. 

If the answer is yes:
This means you’ll be able to act as though your application is granted, even if you haven’t heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period.

If the answer is no: 
If you haven’t heard from the council within a reasonable period, please contact us.
Please contact Northumberland County Council if your application has failed and you are requiring more detail or redress.
We would always advise you contact the trader in the form a letter with proof of delivery. If that hasn’t worked and you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice can assist you
This could be about noise, pollution, etc. or when one licence holder complains about another.
Here you will find information on licensing fees.

This section gives you information about setting up and registering a food business.

Apply for food business registration

or please click here Food Business Registration Form to download a word version which can be printed off. 
The registration of businesses used for food operations, including market stalls, delivery vehicles and other moveable structures, is required by law.

It involves completing a simple form which asks the name, address, type of food business, name of the proprietor and address of head office or registered office.

It is an offence to give false or incomplete information. Article 6 of EC 852/2004 requires food business operators to notify local authorities of their business operations.

The purpose of the registration is to provide information for the local authority, which is responsible for enforcing food law, about the food businesses in its area so it can target inspection and education programmes effectively.

The obligation to register and notify changes to the local authority lies with the proprietor of the food business. The form businesses use to register their premises is part of the regulations.
All food businesses have to register unless they are exempt. The proprietor must tell (or arrange for someone else to tell) the local authority about any premises used for storing, selling, distributing or preparing food.

Food premises includes restaurants, hotels, cafes, shops, supermarkets, staff canteens, kitchens in offices, warehouses, guest houses, delivery vehicles, buffet cars on trains, market and other stalls, hot dog and ice cream vans, etc.

If you use vehicles for your food business in connection with permanent premises such as a shop or warehouse, you only need to tell the local authority how many vehicles you have. You do not need to register each vehicle separately. If you have one or more vehicles, but no permanent premises, you must tell the authority where they are normally kept.

The majority of premises will have to be registered. However, certain premises are exempt from registration, e.g. some which are already registered for food law purposes, certain agricultural premises, motor cars, tents and marquees (but not stalls), some domestic premises and some village halls.

You should contact the public protection commercial team if you think you might be exempt.
When do I register?
Anyone starting a new food business must register with their local authority at least 28 days before opening.

Is there a charge?
There is no charge for registration and local authorities cannot refuse to register premises.

What happens once I've registered?
Once a registration form has been received, the premises and food handling activities will be inspected to ensure it does not present a health risk to the public and complies with food hygiene law.

Does it run out after a period of time?
Registration does not need periodic renewal. However, it is the responsibility of the proprietor to notify the local authority of any changes in the detail provided.

What happens to my information?
The local authority is required to keep a register, open to inspection by the public, containing the name and address of the food premises concerned and the type of business operated there. Apart from this, the remaining information on the form is confidential.  

You must inform us of any changes
Once you have registered, you must keep us informed of change of proprietor, if the nature of the business changes, or if there is a change of the address at which moveable premises are kept. The new proprietor will have to register with us.

Remember, as an employer or self-employed person, you must also comply with health and safety law, and products you sell will be subject to trading standards controls.
Click here to learn about changes for taxi, private hire or scrap metal licence applications from April 2022

The rules are changing if you’re an individual, company or any type of partnership applying for a licence for a:
  • taxi driver 
  • private hire driver 
  • scrap metal dealer
  • private hire vehicle operator 
If you make an application on or after 4 April 2022 you’ll need to complete a tax check if you’re: 
  • renewing a licence 
  • applying for the same type of licence you previously held, that ceased being valid less than a year ago 
  • applying for the same type of licence you already hold with another licensing authority 
You must carry out the tax check yourself. You cannot ask a tax agent or adviser to do this on your behalf. The tax check will ask questions about how you pay any tax that may be due on income you earn from your licensed trade. 

After you have completed the tax check you will be given a 9-character tax check code. You will need to give the code on your application to the licensing authority, so they can confirm you have carried out a tax check, the licensing authority will not be able to process your application without it. 

You will not be granted a licence if you do not give a tax check code to your licensing authority. 

What is a tax check? 

A tax check confirms that you’re registered for tax, if necessary. After you complete the tax check you’ll be given a code. Tax check codes expire after 120 days, so if you make a licence application for another licence after that time you’ll need to carry out a new tax check for it. 

If you’re a partner making a licence application on behalf of a partnership you must complete a tax check for yourself. Your licensing authority will tell you if any other partners also need to complete a tax check. 

You can contact HMRC by clicking here if you notice your records need to be updated during the check

You can use one tax check code for more than one licence application, as long as all the applications are for the same type of licence (for example, they are all for taxi driver licences but with different licensing authorities). If you’re applying for different types of licence (for example, a private hire driver licence and a private hire vehicle operator licence) you must complete a tax check for each one. 

What you should do before April 2022 

You will need a Government Gateway user ID and password to complete a tax check, so you should make sure you have one before you need to make your licence application. If you do not have a user ID, you can create one by clicking here

What you’ll need before your renewal application  

To carry out a tax check, you need a Government Gateway user ID and password. 

You’ll also need to know: 
  • when you first got your licence 
  • the length of your most recent licence 
  • how you pay tax on the income you earn from your licensed trade 
You will not be able to complete the tax check if the information you give about your tax affairs does not match HMRC’s records. 

Your licence cannot be renewed if you do not provide a valid tax code with your renewal application. 

Who to contact

Please do not contact the licensing authority for further information or queries regarding Government Gateway or tax checks this is a government led requirement the licensing authority cannot help you with this and all information can be found at:  

Learn about the permit required with regard to house-to-house collections for charitable purposes.

No. It is in the public interest for the authority to process your application before it can be granted.

If you haven’t heard anything within a reasonable period, please contact the local authority either online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or by:
If your application is refused, please first contact your local authority. You then have the right to appeal to the minister for the cabinet office. Appeals must be lodged within 14 days of the decision.
Help us ensure Newbiggin-by-the-Sea is enjoyable for all users of seafaring craft.

Northumberland County Council introduced a free registration scheme for anyone launching a craft or using a vehicle at Newbiggin Bay. This is to ensure users are safe and responsible. 
Commercial fisherman, and local boat and sailing clubs, have already signed up for the scheme. You will have to register if you:
  • are a user of a mechanically propelled craft – the bay is broken up into zones for this purpose
  • use a vehicle to collect coal from the beach
  • want to launch a boat or personal watercraft such as a jet ski
You will also need to sign the applicable conditions below: Completed forms and signed conditions can be emailed to Arthur.Cranson@northumberland.gov.uk or posted to the below address:
Arthur Cranson
Coastal Warden
Northumberland County Council
Fort House
Education Resource Centre
Links Road
South Beach
NE24 3PQ

Phone enquiries to: 01670 797323
The petroleum enforcement authority is Northumberland Fire & Rescue Service. It is responsible for ensuring safety at sites where petrol is delivered, stored and dispensed. Petroleum storage certificates are issued to ensure petroleum is kept and dispensed safely.

If you are storing, or proposing to store, petroleum for commercial or retail purposes, you need to apply for a storage certificate.

A storage certificate will allow you to keep an approved quantity of petroleum. 
A storage certificate will allow you to keep an approved quantity of petroleum.

“Petroleum” includes any product of crude petroleum that has a flashpoint below 21°C, including petrol, benzene, pentane and any mixture containing these products.

If you store petroleum spirit for dispensing purposes, and are either of the following, you need a storage certificate:
  • retail petrol filling stations
  • non-retail petrol filling stations (including commercial sites and farms if they have storage tanks for petrol and tanks where the petrol is dispensed, either mechanically or electrically, into the fuel tank for an internal combustion engine. Please note that this is a much wider definition than just a motor vehicle).
For non-workplace or domestic storage of petrol, a petroleum storage certificate is not required. However, you may still need a non-workplace petroleum licence. This will depend on the individual circumstances of: 
  • how it is being stored
  • in what quantity (more than 275 litres) and
  • the type of container used
In any event, safety requirements must still be met. If you are unsure of whether or not you need a petroleum storage licence, or a petroleum storage certificate, please contact Northumberland Fire & Rescue Service by:
You will need to complete an application form (either online or a hard copy) and provide:
  • the name and address of the applicant
  • the address of the dispensing premises
  • a drawing (1:100 scale) of the layout of the premises
  • a drawing (1:100 scale) of the containment system for petrol at the dispensing premises, including storage tanks and pipework
  • a drawing (1:100 scale) of the drainage system for petrol at the dispensing premises
  • payment of the relevant fee 
You should have appropriate safety arrangements in place for the safe delivery, storage and dispensing of petrol. We may ask you to provide evidence of these safety arrangements.

Please note: We cannot accept online applications to transfer a storage certificate.
If you do not wish to apply online, you can download the relevant application form and return it to us with payment: Please return completed application forms to:

Petroleum Clerk
Fire Safety Department
Northumberland Fire and Rescue Service HQ
West Hartford Business Park
NE23 3JP

Pay for your storage certificate
If you are applying online, you will be able to pay using your credit/debit card. Alternatively you can pay by:
  • post: include a cheque made payable to Northumberland County Council with your application form
  • phone: 0345 600 6400 or one of our local phone numbers and pay using a debit/credit card
  • in person: at one of our customer information centres using a debit/credit card, cash or cheque
When we have received your application form, payment and supporting information, we will consider the application and let you know the outcome.

Storage certificates may be granted on an annual basis, up to a maximum of 10 years. Applicants must complete a form to renew their storage certificate.

What to do if your application is unsuccessful
Please contact us on 01670 621140 to discuss your application in the first instance. If an application is refused, applicants do have the right to appeal to the secretary of state.

Modifications to a storage certificate
Once a storage certificate is granted, it may be that in the future changes need to be made. If this happens, then a separate application to modify your certificate will be required (there is no fee associated with this).

If you have any queries about how to apply for a petroleum storage certificate, then please contact the petroleum clerk by:
Petrol storage certificate costs
  Annual Cost
New certificate/renewal for up to 2,500 litres £44
New certificate/renewal for up to 50,000 litres £60
New certificate/renewal for more than 50,000 litres £125

Storage certificates may be granted on an annual basis, up to a maximum of 10 years. 
Prescribed material changes
A prescribed material change must be notified to the petroleum enforcement authority (Northumberland Fire and Rescue Service) at least 28 days before the commencement of any works to affect the change. Where a prescribed material change has been made to a dispensing premises, the petroleum enforcement authority must issue a new storage certificate.

Prescribed material changes include:
  • the cessation of one or more petrol storage tanks
  • the removal or permanent decommissioning of one or more petrol storage tanks
  • the installation of any tank, pipework or vapour pipework associated with the storage and dispensing of petrol
  • the installation of any petrol pump, any other automotive pump, or dispenser in a new location
Cessation of storage
A person keeping petrol on dispensing premises where a storage certificate is in place must inform Northumberland Fire and Rescue Service before ceasing to occupy the dispensing premises. The notification must be made in writing and must state:
  • the person's name and address
  • the address of the dispensing premises
  • the date on which the person proposes to cease occupation of the dispensing premises
The notification must be given a maximum of six months and a minimum of 28 days before the day on which the person ceases to occupy the dispensing premises.

Notice of leakages, accidents, fire or explosion
The person named on the petroleum storage certificate, or an authorised representative, shall immediately inform Northumberland Fire and Rescue Service of any loss, actual or suspected leakage, accident, fire or explosion involving petroleum-spirit.

Dispensing into containers
Except when a petrol pump or dispenser is being tested for accuracy, or in repairing the installation of any part thereof, petroleum-spirit shall be dispensed only by means of approved equipment into the fuel tanks of internal combustion engines or into approved portable containers (see below).

Unauthorised access to petroleum spirit
The keeper of petrol, or his/her authorised representative, shall prevent unauthorised persons under the age of 16 years from having access to, or operating any equipment associated with petroleum-spirit.

Transfer of a petroleum storage certificate
The petroleum storage certificate now remains with the dispensing premises. A new person, proposing to keep petrol where the regulation applies, must notify Northumberland Fire and Rescue Service before keeping petrol on the premises. The notification must be made in writing and must include:
  • the person's name and address
  • the address of the dispensing premises
  • the date on which the person proposes to cease occupation of the dispensing premises
The notification must be given a maximum of six months and a minimum of 28 days before the day on which the person proposes to keep petrol on the dispensing premises.

Approved portable containers
The new regulations state that petrol can be dispensed into, and stored in, the following approved portable containers:
  • plastic containers up to 10 litres (previous regulations restricted this to five litres)
  • metal containers up to 20 litres (previous regulations restricted this to 10 litres)
An occupier of a premises (not being a workplace) may store up to 30 litres of petroleum spirit without the requirement to inform Northumberland Fire and Rescue Service.

The petroleum can be stored in:
  • suitable portable containers
  • one demountable fuel tank
  • a combination of the above, as long as no more than 30 litres are kept
When an occupier of a premises (not being a workplace) wishes to store more than 30 litres (and up to 275 litres) of petroleum spirit, they must notify the Northumberland Fire and Rescue Service in writing, providing the name and address of the occupier and the storage place.

The petroleum can be stored in:
  • suitable portable containers
  • one demountable fuel tank
  • a combination of the above, as long as no more than 275 litres are kept
Common storage requirements for these amounts:
  • petrol is not stored in living accommodation
  • petrol is not dispensed (using a manual or electrical pump) at the storage place
  • if the storage place is not in the open air, it has a direct exit to the open air and is ventilated to it
  • all reasonable precautions are taken in the storage place to prevent any sources of ignition or heat that would be liable to ignite petrol or its vapour
  • petrol is not used in the storage place other than: a) in the storage tank of any internal combustion engine; or b) in quantities (not exceeding 150 mililitres at any one time), for cleaning or as a solvent for repair purposes.
Storing more than 275 litres of petroleum spirit in non-workplace premises
The licensing regime is being retained for storage of more than 275 litres of petroleum spirit at non-workplace premises.

If you wish to store more than 275 litres of petroleum spirit at non-workplace premises, you must apply to Northumberland Fire and Rescue Service for a licence.

The licence will specify your name and where the petrol is stored. It can be granted for up to three years and is not transferable. Northumberland Fire and Rescue Service may attach storage conditions to the certificate.

The new regulations state that petrol can be dispensed into and stored in the following approved portable containers:
  • plastic containers up to 10 litres (previous regulations restricted this to 5 litres)
  • metal containers up to 20 litres (previous regulations restricted this to 10 litres)
Please also follow our general safety guidance on how to store petroleum safely:
  • Apart from what's in the fuel tank, you can only transport petrol in securely closed containers specifically designed for transporting petrol, and that are marked petroleum and highly flammable. Make sure they are secured in the boot when being transported.
  • Filling your tank from a container should only be done in the open air.
  • Store any petrol storage containers in a garage or shed away from any other buildings. Don't keep petrol in the house. Make sure the place where you store petrol is well ventilated and away from any naked flame or live electrical equipment.
  • Check containers regularly for leaks. If you smell petrol fumes, ventilate the area and make sure nobody smokes or turns electrical switches on or off. The slightest spark could cause an explosion.
If you need advice or have any questions about petroleum storage certificates or how to store petroleum safely, please contact Northumberland Fire & Rescue Service by:
If you need advice or have any questions about petroleum storage certificates or how to store petroleum safely, please contact Northumberland Fire & Rescue Service by:
Here you will find information on the licence you will need if you wish to hire out water-bound pleasure crafts.

If you want to hire out water-bound pleasure crafts for personal use, or to carry passengers, you will need to obtain a licence from the local authority.

Examples of pleasure boats are:
  • sailboards
  • rowing boats
  • canoes
  • motor boats
  • pedallos
  • larger boats
Your licence will state how many passengers you are allowed to carry as well as possible other conditions. It may also be subject to a fee. 
No. It is in the public interest for the authority to process your application before it can be granted.

If you haven’t heard anything within a reasonable period, please contact the local authority either online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or by:
If your application or licence holder is refused, please first contact your local authority. You can then appeal by giving 24 hours’ notice and contacting your local magistrates’ court two days after the decision. 
In the event of a complaint please first contact the trader, preferably in the form of a letter with proof of delivery.

If this doesn’t work and you are located in the UK, please contact Citizens Advice. If you are outside of the UK, please contact the UK European Consumer Centre.
Please see below for how to apply for a sale of fireworks license and when businesses are allowed to sell fireworks.

Fireworks for private use can only be sold by a registered seller at certain times of the year:
  • between 15 October and 10 November
  • between 26 December and 31 December
  • three days before Diwali and Chinese New Year
If you wish to apply to sell fireworks during these periods, or renew your licence, please click here to download an application form.

The Regulations also allow that a person wishing to sell adult fireworks outside of the above periods may apply for an annual licence.

Northumberland County Council welcomes applications for these licences. The current fee for this £500 per year. 
If you wish to apply for an annual licence or would like to discuss any other matters please feel free to contact the Trading Standards Service for further information on tradingstandards@northumberland.gov.uk or by phone on 01670 623870.
Use this page to find out about placing scaffolding and hoarding on the highway.

When it is necessary to place scaffolding or hoardings on the highway around a place of work, permission is required. This can be obtained from the county council on completion of the scaffold and hoarding application form. You will also need to provide a location plan in line with the guidelines below. 

Scaffolding and hoarding must not be erected until permission has been granted.  

  • Hoardings are to be a minimum of 2.5m high and able to withstand high winds
  • Illumination may be required if street lighting is not adequate
  • Hoardings must have a smooth finish with no protruding parts
  • Pedestrian walkways of satisfactory width must be maintained or provided (in line with the Highways Act, section 169), and regularly inspected by the contractor
  • During the erection and dismantling period, a safe working area at ground level is to be provided to prevent pedestrians gaining access.
  • Illumination is required unless no part of the scaffolding is less than 0.45m (18 inches) from a carriageway in a horizontal direction, and no part of it over a footway is less than 2.4m (8 feet), above the footway.
  • A pedestrian walkway is to be maintained around the scaffold. If this cannot be arranged, it should be designed to allow access under and through the scaffold safely: with no trip hazards, no projecting tubes or fittings, and covered adequately to provide a working platform and prevent materials or debris falling through.
  • Scaffolding poles should be highlighted. A reasonable free walking width must be maintained to enable persons in wheelchairs/prams etc. to pass the scaffold safely.
The cost for a licence to erect either scaffolding or hoarding is £75 for 28 days. The charge for any unlicenced scaffolding or hoarding is £125 for 28 days.  

The council has the necessary powers to issue licences for scaffolding; to require erection of hoardings to separate building works from the street; and to ensure hoardings are securely erected. Contravention of these conditions is an offence, under The Highways Act 1980, with maximum fines of:
  • £5,000 (non-compliance with scaffolding licence)
  • £1,000 plus £2 per day (contravention of section 172 of the act)
  • £200 plus £1 per day (contravention of section 173 of the act)
Copies of the Highways Act 1980 can be purchased from Her Majesty's Stationery Office, and can also be read at County Hall.
If you require any further information, please email us at streetworks@northumberland.gov.uk or call 0345 600 6400. Click here for local telephone numbers.
This section provides information on registering a scrap metal site.

The Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 replaced the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 1964 and the Motor Salvage Operators Regulation 2002. Provisions of the new act include:
  • Local authorities must be satisfied that metal dealers are a legitimate trader.
  • All sellers of metal must provide verifiable identification at point of sale, which is recorded and retained by the dealer.
  • A cashless offence will apply to all scrap metal dealers including ‘mobile/itinerant collectors’ who conduct house-to-house collections.
  • Two types of licences are available - a site licence and a collector's licence.
  • There will be a publicly available register of all scrap metal dealers maintained by the Environment Agency.
  • There are fees for this service. Please click here to view.
The council will only issue a licence when we are satisfied the applicant is suitable to carry on a scrap metal dealer business. For a partnership or company, all partners, directors, company secretaries or shadow directors will be assessed.
All applicants will need to provide a basic disclosure certificate alongside their application as well as the relevant fee.
  • You can apply for a Basic Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service here.
We will consult on all applications with Northumbria Police, the Environment Agency, local authorities and relevant internal departments. Send all completed application forms to either:

Licensing Department
Northumberland County Council
County Hall
NE61 2EF

Email address:Licensing@northumberland.gov.uk
If your application is refused, please first contact your local authority. You can then appeal the refusal to your local magistrates’ court. 
In the event of a complaint please first contact the trader, preferably in the form of a letter with proof of delivery. If this doesn’t work and you are located in the UK, please contact Citizens Advice. If you are outside of the UK, please contact the UK European Consumer Centre.
Here you will find information about placing a skip or container on the highway. Please note that there is a five day minimum notification period for all skip applications.

When placing a builders’ skip or container on the highway, a permit is required.

This permit is available from the county council, at a charge of £20 per skip or container, and is valid for a period of 14 days. Skips placed on the highway, without obtaining a permit, will be charged at £60 per 14 days, then a new licence will need to be applied for at £20 per 14 days thereafter. The council will contact the skip company on a monthly basis to collect permit fees.

The public highway constitutes the carriageway, grass verge and footway. Please note, builders’ skips and containers can not usually be placed on the footway, unless permission is sought from the county council in advance of the skip being dropped.

Please note that there is a five day minimum notification period for all skip applications to allow adequate time for the required checks to take place.
It is the responsibility of the skip or container owner to apply for the permit, on behalf of the hirer. Permit request forms will not be issued to the public.
  • During the 14 day period, the skip or container can be changed as many times as required. However, if the skip or container is required for longer, a secondary permit must be requested at the same charge of £20.
  • Guidelines must be adhered to when placing a skip or container on the highway, and are available to download below.
  • When a skip or container is placed on private land, a permit is not necessary.
  • If a breach of the regulations occurs, the council has the power, under the Highways Act 1980, to remove any skip or container from the highway. Charges incurred for doing so will be invoiced to the company concerned.
Please contact the streetworks team at Northumberland County Council if you require any further information.
Telephone 0345 600 6400 or click here for local telephone numbers
Or email streetworks@northumberland.gov.uk
This section provides information about the permit needed for charity collections.

If you wish to collect money or sell articles for the benefit of a charity in England and Wales, you must obtain a street collection licence from your local council. 
No. It is in the public interest for the authority to process your application before it can be granted.

If you haven’t heard anything within a reasonable period, please contact the local authority either online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or by:
On the 6 July 2011, Northumberland County Council resolved, in accordance with Section 3 of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982 to adopt Schedule 4 of the Act.

These are powers to designate streets for the purpose of the Act and to establish a street trading scheme. It came into effect on the 22 August 2011. This policy sets out how the council intends to control and regulate street trading activities within the administrative area of Northumberland. 

Objectives of the Policy 
  • To protect health through the control of street trading within the County of Northumberland. 
  • To improve standards of food safety, health and safety and environmental management and enhance the image of the district. 
  • Ensuring that traders operate within the law and act fairly in their dealings with the public. 
  • Preventing and detecting statutory nuisance, unsafe practices and anti-social behaviour. 
  • To set out in a fair and transparent manner, how the Council intends to harmonise the terms and conditions across Northumberland in licensing street trading provision. 

Click here to read our street trading policy

Street trading constent application   Renewal of street trading consent application   Apply for a pedlar's certificate
If you offer tattooing, semi-permanent skin colouring, cosmetic piercing, acupuncture or electrolysis in Northumberland, you must be registered with our Licensing Department.

The premises used for cosmetic treatments must also be registered.

Once you're registered, you'll be issued with a certificate of registration, which should be displayed at your place of work.