Cooling tower notification

This page provides information on how to notify the council if you have an air conditioner or cooling tower.

Poorly installed or maintained ventilation and air-conditioning systems can be a health risk. Detailed plans must be submitted for inspection before installing new units, especially in catering establishments.

Anywhere with cooling towers and evaporative condensers must register with the council under the Notification of Cooling Towers and Evaporative Condensers Regulations 1992 (see information and advice). 
The purpose of this is to identify areas that could spread infectious diseases, e.g. Legionella, and to ensure measures are taken to reduce risk. 
Please click here for the current register of cooling tower operators in Northumberland

 We are always willing to give advice on legislation or practical problems, so if you are considering setting up a business, or wish to discuss anything in relation to your existing premises, please feel free to contact us. 
If you control a non-domestic premises, you must notify the council. Notification must be in writing (including by electronic means) on a form approved by the Health and Safety Executive. 
You must tell us about any changes in information, including if the device is no longer notifiable, in writing within one month of the change. 

Please check when you make your application as it depends upon your circumstances.  
If the answer is yes: 

This means you’ll be able to act as though your application is granted, even if you haven’t heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period. 
If the answer is no:  
If you haven’t heard from the council within a reasonable period, please contact us. 


Please contact Northumberland County Council if your application has failed and you are requiring more detail or redress.
We would always advise you contact the trader in the form a letter with proof of delivery. If that hasn’t worked and you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice can assist you.  
This could be about noise, pollution, etc. or when one licence holder complains about another.