Housing benefit - change of circumstances
This page contains information on how to notify us of a change in your circumstances that may affect your housing benefit.
Change of Circumstances
It is very important that you tell us about any changes
in your, or any member of your households, circumstances within one
month of the change. If you don't you may lose money
you are entitled to, or you may get too much benefit which you may
have to pay back.
If the change results in the overpayment of benefit to you, we have
the power to recover the overpayment from you.
Please download a
change of circumtances form, complete and either post or
fax the completed form to the address below.
Examples of changes that you must tell us about
Changes to the money you get
- you or anyone living with you gets a job (no matter how many
hours they work), changes their job or leaves their job
- you start or stop getting Income Support, Job Seekers
Allowance, Employment Support Allowance
- you start or stop getting Tax Credits
- the money you or your partner gets increases or decreases
- the money non-dependants get increases or decreases
- there are any other changes in the money people in your home
Changes in your home
- you change your address.
If you move address within Northumberland you may download a
change of address form here
- the number of people in your home changes - for example,
someone has a baby
- anyone moves into or out of your home (including lodgers and
- your rent changes, your landlord changes or moves
- you, or your partner, go into hospital for more than 6
- you, or your partner, become a student, or stop being a
- the amount of savings or capital you have changes
- any of your children leave school or leave home.
In all cases it is your duty to notify us of any change in your
circumstances. Do not rely on someone else to pass the
How to inform us of your change
notify us of your change in writing. Therefore you may
It is important that you provide us with the original proof/evidence that supports your
change in circumstances where appropriate, for example payslips,
bank statements or birth certificate.
If you require further help or information please telephone
0845 600 6400.
You may use our benefits calculator to see how your change in
circumstances may affect your benefit. Benefits
You may also find the following sites
Department of Work and Pensions
Northumberland County Council
Telephone: 0845 6006400
Fax: 01670 620098