Housing and council tenants

Help with housing costs, household bills, and advice from our council house Income Team.

Cost of living payments

This information was last updated on 8 February 2024.

The cost of living will affect everyone differently. Depending on your circumstances there is financial support available here.

Other household bills

There is additional support with household costs for those receiving benefits.

Household Support Fund

£1.5 billion has been made available to support those most at need to cover their essential daily costs, like energy bills. Recipients include pensioners and families with children. For further information about the household support fund, click here.

Budgeting loans

You may be eligible for a Budgeting Loan if you’ve been on certain benefits for 6 months. This can be used for household items, rent in advance and travelling costs. Check if you’re eligible for a Budgeting Loan.

Cheaper phone and broadband

You may be eligible to move onto a social tariff if you’re struggling to afford your broadband or phone services. Check the Ofcom website to see if you can switch to a social tariff.

Help paying your Water Bill

Water companies understand that people can struggle to pay their bills and fall into debt at times. If this happens to you, contact your water company and explain your situation so that they can provide you with the best support they can offer. You may also be eligible for discounts and support, contact Northumbrian Water.

Universal Credit if you’re unemployed or on low income

If you and/or your partner are responsible for paying rent for the home you live in, or if you have a mortgage, Universal Credit may provide help towards the cost.  Check if you are eligible for Universal Credit.

Housing benefit

Housing Benefit can help you pay your rent if you are state pension age or you’re in supported, sheltered or temporary accommodation. Check if you are eligible for Housing Benefit.

Support for additional housing costs

You may be able to get support for additional housing costs if you’re already claiming Housing Benefit. Contact Northumberland Communities Together to find out what support you can get.

Council Tax support schemes

Councils run support schemes to help people on low incomes with their Council Tax bill. Contact Northumberland Communities Together to find out what support you can get.

Discretionary Housing Payments

If you are on certain benefits you may be eligible for Discretionary Housing Payments which provide financial support to help with rent or housing costs. Check if you’re eligible for a discretionary housing payment.

Get help with interest payments on mortgages or loans

If you’re a homeowner on qualifying benefits, you might be able to get help towards interest payments on your mortgage or loans you’ve taken out for certain repairs and improvements to your home. Check if you’re eligible for Support for Mortgage Interest.

Council housing tenants

If you are a council tenant we have support available. If you are struggling to pay your rent, worried about paying your bills or need some general advice, you can contact our income team and ask to speak to your designated income officer on 01670 623483.

We can also provide you with specialist welfare benefit advice. We want to help you maximise your income and benefit entitlement, and ensure you are in a good position to pay your rent, charges and household bills.   Our colleagues are here to help you to:

  • Manage your budget
  • Reduce your debts
  • Apply for grants or funding
  • Reduce your bills

We can offer help and advice on the following:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Universal Credit
  • Under Occupation
  • Non-dependent Deduction
  • Benefit Cap 

If you are a council tenant and need welfare or benefit advice, please contact us on 01670 623483 or email housingwelfaresupport@northumberland.gov.uk. We will do our very best to support you for all other queries please contact the council on 0345 600 6400.