Environmental enforcement

In order to improve the local environment, our skilled team has a responsibility for educating Northumberland residents about environmental matters and taking remedial action whenever necessary. Find out more, and how to report any issues to us, here.

The following public health notices have been issued

The Wharton Arms, Burdon Terrace, Bedlington, NE22 6DA

On 06 October 2020 the Council gave a Direction pursuant to regulation 4(1) in respect of the following premises: The Wharton Arms, Burdon Terrace, Bedlington, NE22 6DA

  1. Read the Public Notice of Direction given to impose restrictions in response to a serious and imminent threat to public health here
  2. Read the Direction relating to individual premises here


The Castle, 158 Woodhorn Road, Ashington, Northumberland NE63 9EN

NOTICE is hereby given that on 13th October 2020 the Council gave a Direction pursuant to regulation 4(1) in respect of the following premises: The Castle, 158 Woodhorn Road, Ashington, Northumberland NE63 9EN

Fly-tipping is the illegal dumping of waste. It can cause a range of problems for people, animals and the environment.

In order for the incident to be dealt with as efficiently as possible, please record as many of the following details when reporting:
  • Did you witness the fly-tipping?
  • Did you see any vehicles involved?
  • What items have been tipped?
Please don’t try and move the items yourself as they could be hazardous.

It is the responsibility of the landowner to remove the waste. We will investigate the issue but we are not obliged to remove it. If fly-tipping is reported on private land, we will try to contact the landowner.
What are the problems?
  • It is estimated to cost £100-£150 million every year to investigate and clear up fly-tipping, and this cost falls on taxpayers and private landowners.
  • Fly-tipping poses a threat to humans and wildlife, and damages our environment.
  • Areas subjected to repeat fly-tipping may see a decline in property prices, and local businesses may suffer from people staying away. 
How you can help to reduce the problems
You can report any public area that has a littering problem by clicking the link below.

Click here for the Environmental Enforcement Fixed Penalty Notice Policy 2017
Sites must have a waste management licence to store, treat, sort or burn waste of any description. To report an illegal waste site, click on the link below.

Anyone who collects, carries and disposes of waste for gain, and doesn’t have a licence issued by the Environment Agency, is an unauthorised waste carrier.

Authorised waste carriers will always be able to produce their licence, along with a receipt showing the time and date of the waste collection and where it is going for disposal.

To report an unauthorised waste carrier, click on the link below.
Any motor vehicle abandoned on the highway or in a public place can be reported. Please give details of registration numbers where possible.

We will remove graffiti from any property in Northumberland. A small fee may be charged in some cases. We’ll also ask the property owner to sign a disclaimer, as the removal process can sometimes damage certain surfaces.

We aim to remove any obscene graffiti within 24 hours of receiving a report.
Posters or advertisements posted in a public place without permission are classed as fly-posters. It’s illegal to attach posters or any form of advertising to signs or street furniture, such as lampposts or benches. We will remove any fly-posters we find and legal action may be taken.

Our dedicated enforcement officer can deal with horses illegally tethered or straying on public authority land. However, horses running loose or causing a nuisance should be reported to the police.

Although unsightly, horse waste isn’t toxic and so we are unable to remove it. However, if you feel that excessive horse waste is a problem in your area, please contact us and we may be able to speak to the horse’s owner. 
Highway obstructions are the responsibility of highway inspectors. However, we can help deal with these matters.

If you are concerned about dog fouling in a public area, you can report it to us.

We can deal with privately owned vacant buildings which are either:

  • not secured against unauthorised entry
  • are likely to become a danger to public health
Any reported derelict and unsecured buildings are the responsibility of the public protection department. They will ensure the buildings are secure and don’t pose a threat to public health.

The owner of the building will be issued a notice. If they don’t comply, we can do the work and re-charge for the cost.
We will deal with the accumulation of rubbish wherever possible.

For example, if the accumulation can be seen to be harmful to health, we can serve a notice of removal under the Environmental Protection Act 1990.

If it is not removed, the person who received the notice can be prosecuted and the cost of removal will be re-charged.
Northumberland County Council of County Hall, Morpeth, NE61 2EF (“the Council”) is the seizure authority for the purposes of regulation 2 of the 2015 Regulations.

Silver Suzuki Grand Vitara
The seized property was seized at 03:30 hours on Tuesday 30 August 2019 at Emmerson Road,  Newbiggin by the sea, Northumberland. 
Paying Fixed Penalty Notices

If you've been issued with a Fixed Penalty Notice you can pay in the following ways: 
  • Online - you can pay online by visiting https://fpnss.northumberland.gov.uk/ remember to have your FPN number and card details ready
  • By phone - call Customer Services on 0345 600 6400 to make a payment if you do not have your FPN reference number or your home address is outside of Northumberland.
  • In person - at one of our Information Centres (contact us on 0345 600 6400 for opening times and directions to your nearest Information Centre)
  • By post - send a cheque or postal order with the detachable payment slip to: Northumberland County Council, Cashiers, County Hall, Morpeth, NE61 2EF
Click here for the Environmental Enforcement Fixed Penalty Notice Policy 2017