Building control applications

Find out how to apply for building regulations, what you need to do if you plan to demolish a building and how to report a dangerous building.

This section is for all but minor building control applications, including all commercial proposals.

This section is for minor householder applications only and fees must be paid in full. Please view the amounts below. Due to the requirement to consult with the fire safety officer, commercial property applications can’t be made through this application.

If you have built a structure without the necessary building regulations approval, you must submit a regularisation form. This gives retrospective building regulation consent. It also assesses if the need for further works is necessary before approval.

To apply for building regulations, complete one of the above application forms with your drawings and we will contact you regarding the fee.

You can also submit building control applications online using Submit-A-Plan or Planning Portal
  • Log on to Submit-A-Plan here or i-apply here
  • Choose the relevant local authority
  • Complete the online version of the application form
  • Select the electronic drawings you want to send
  • Submit and track the progression of your application
  • View cancellation rights.
We cannot currently accept online payments with Submit-A-Plan please see below for details on how to pay via this portal.
Fees vary depending on the type of development.

You can view our scheme of charges here
If you have difficulty calculating fees, or are unsure which apply, please contact us for help. You can also speak to us about individual fee assessment if the above schedules don’t apply.  

After submitting a plan, fees are usually payable in two stages. 

  • The plan fee accompanying the submission covers assessment of the proposed works and issuing a decision. 
  • The inspection fee covers all site inspections up to, and including, the issue of a completion certificate. 

If submitting a building notice, it must be accompanied by the fee. This is a once-only payment and covers the above procedures. 
We may be able to offer a reduction of up to 30% on the plan fee if: 

  • The work involves significant repetition. 
  • You propose two or more buildings or works which are the same as each other. 

Contact us to discuss how we could save you money. 
Applications to regularise unauthorised work of any type is subject to fees that are exempt from VAT.  

We will contact you for payment. As a guideline, you can pay for your fees by: 

  • phone: using a credit or debit card, call any of the numbers below: 

    • 01670 623820 (Hexham and Ponteland) 
    • 01670 623838 (Alnwick to Berwick) 
    • 01670 623729 (All other areas) 
  • You can also ring our general number 01670 623727 if you are unsure which of us to contact. 
  • cheque: please make cheques payable to 'Northumberland County Council' and post to the relevant area office. Quote the application reference number if applicable. 
  • Card payment link - we can email this to you once we have ascertained the correct fee
  • BACS: Please state BREG as a reference with your name, site address and application reference number, if available. Send to
    • sort code: 20-58-25 
    • account number: 53023915 
    • account name NCC Receipts Account 
Here you will find information on what to do if you are planning to demolish a building.

Anyone wishing to demolish a building should contact us for advice.

Demolition is covered by section 80-83 of the Building Act. If you intend to demolish a building, you must complete the demolition notice form and pay a £100 fee. Please return to your area office
View cancellation rights 
You also need to inform the building control section. Any building in excess of 1,750cu.ft in volume will require permission to demolish. 
Minor demolition works may not require notification to building control, but the demolisher may need to notify adjoining owners and statutory authorities – such as the gas and electric board. 
Other works may also need to be carried out, such as: 

  • shore up adjacent buildings 
  • weather-proof adjacent buildings if the need arises 
  • remove demolition material from site 
  • seal off drains 
  • impose restrictions as to how the demolition is to be carried out 


You may have to obtain planning permission to demolish your building if it is: 

  • Included on a list of special architectural or historical interest. 
  • Within a conservation area. 
  • A house or building containing a flat, a residential home or a hotel. 
This section tells you how to report a dangerous building or structure.

Building control will assess any building reported as dangerous. If there is a clear and present danger, we will contact the owner under Section 77 of the Building Act 1984 and agree a course of action. 
The owner must remove the danger by the agreed date. If this does not happen, we can apply to the magistrates’ court for an order. 
If we find the danger is so great and the owners cannot act immediately, we can remove the danger under Section 78 of the Building Act 1984. All reasonable costs will be recovered from the building owner. 
Buildings that look unsightly or dilapidated, but pose no safety risk, cannot be presented in a case for enforcement under Section 77 and 78 of the Building Act 1984.  

To report a dangerous structure, please contact customer services by: 

Emails will be answered during working hours only, 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday, excluding weekends and public holidays.

A private sewer is a drain carrying waste water and surface water to an adopted sewer from more than one property. They are owned by water and sewerage companies.

If you are extending your property over a drain, or connecting new drainage, you will need to submit an accurate drainage layout of your proposals with a building regulations application. For further information, please contact us or visit the Northumbrian Water website.