Social Care

​This page tells you about social care services for children and young people with SEN and disabilities and their families.

This page tells you about social care services for children and young people with SEN and disabilities and their families. Updated 20/04/2020.

A small number of people need this kind of help. Despite the name, learners with Education Health & Care Plans do not often need ongoing social care support.
Social Care is provided by two main services, although they do have specialist teams too:
  • Children’s Social Care, including teams for Disabled Children, Looked After Children and Care Leavers.
  • Adult Social Care
Social care also help to provide or arrange short breaks, respite or direct payments for families.
Children’s social care (0-18 years)
Where a child or young person has been assessed as having social care needs in relation to their SEN or Disabilities social care teams:
  • provide early years providers, schools and colleges with a contact for social care advice on children and young people with SEN and Disabilities
  • arrange provision under the Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons Act (CSDPA) 1970 when it is necessary and specified in an EHC Plan
Adult social care (18 years or older)
  • Young people with SEN or disabilities turning 18 may become eligible for adult social care services, regardless of whether they have an EHC plan or whether they have been receiving services from children’s social care.
  • The Care Act 2014 sets out when young people are approaching, or turn, 18 and are likely to require an assessment for adult care and support.
To find out more contact the Disabled Children Team or Adult Social Care at 01670 536400

To find out more about support for adults with disabilities please click here.
Northumberland Adolescent Service (NAS) was developed to provide an integrated holistic approach to prioritise the safeguarding of young people.

This ensures there is a service area within Northumberland Children’s Services which specialises in addressing the risks and needs of all adolescents, and includes the Youth Justice Service, Sorted Substance misuse service, Accommodation Team, Leaving Care Team, Youth Service and Participation and Advocacy Team.

Click here to find out more about the services that form Northumberland Adolescent Service.
Information on the early help service during COVID 19

Click here to see the early help offer during COVID 19.