Moving to adult social care

This page explains the support available from the Adult Social Care teams and how to contact them.

Adult social care is about promoting independence and will aim to make you as independent as possible.

This means that just because you had a service in Children Services, it does not mean you will get the same type of service in adult services.
People’s lives shouldn’t have to stop because they are disabled or have a long-term illness. We aim to make sure people can get the support they need to enable them to continue to live in the way they want.
  • Young people with SEN or disabilities turning 18 may become eligible for adult social care services, regardless of whether they have an EHC plan or whether they have been receiving services from children’s social care.
  • The Care Act 2014 sets out when young people are approaching, or turn, 18 and are likely to require an assessment for adult care and support.
 We offer two kinds of support arrangement:
  • crisis support for people who urgently need help after a health crisis or a serious accident
  • self-directed support for people with longer-term support needs
To find out more about support for adults with disabilities please click here.
All adult social care services in Northumberland can be contacted through our single phone number, Onecall: Onecall is one number for all adult social care, children's services and community health enquiries in Northumberland. Helping the most vulnerable people to keep safe and well 24-7. For more information about Onecall click here.