Here you will find guidance on reporting domestic animal welfare issues, stray dogs, controlling dogs and reporting dog mess in public places.
Popular tasks right now
This is not to be used for reporting problems with wild animals such as birds, rodents, foxes, etc. There are various organisations, such as the RSPB and the RSPCA, which can help in these cases.
The council has now carried out the consultation that proposed to make the Northumberland
County Council (Dog Control) Public Spaces Protection Order.
This protection order has been made and will be in force from January 31st 2020.
Click here to read the full notice of the making of the Public Spaces Protection Order.
Click here to read the Northumberland County Council (Dog Control) Public Spaces Protection Order for the control of Dogs.
We believe it should be socially unacceptable to fail to clean up after your dog and that you should leave only pawprints which is why we’re encouraging residents to become a Green Dog Walker.
- Free poop bags for you and to give to other dog walkers
- A green dog armband to encourage other dog walkers to talk to you about the scheme
- Leaflets to hand out to dog walkers, encouraging them to also take the Green Dog Walker pledge
PLEASE NOTE: The Northumberland County Council Green Dog Walker scheme is only open to residents of Northumberland.
I hereby volunteer to accept a Green Dog Walkers ® Armband and pledge to take part in the campaign as follows:
1. I will wear the armband as often as possible when walking my dog(s).
2. I will at all times clean up after my dog and dispose of the bag in a bin.
3. When others walk my dog I will encourage them to clean up after my dog.
4. I understand that wearing the armband indicates that I will carry extra doggie bags to distribute to other dog walkers if requested.
5. At no time when wearing the armband will I aggressively confront other dog walkers about dog fouling. I fully understand that Green Dog Walkers® is intended to be a non-confrontational and friendly campaign to change attitudes about dog fouling.
6. I agree that Green Dog Walkers® maycontact me to take part in questionnaires or surveys regarding my Green Dog Walker® experience, to help judge the success of the project.
To view the Environmental Enforcement Fixed Penalty Notice Policy 2017 Click here.
Click here to let us know if you found the content of the page helpful
Choose the letter of the service you’re looking for
© Northumberland County Council