also known as: Parks.
This page displays information on Hexham Parks
Hexham Parks occupy a central location in the town and provide a
valuable resource for the local community and visitors. The Parks
are comprised of four different areas: Hexham House Grounds, the
Sele, Cowgarth, and Abbey Grounds. The Parks contain informal green
space, formal gardens, a bowling green, play areas, a bandstand,
skate park, putting green, and toilets.
Hexham Parks are open all year round.
Enquiries and Information
Please contact Northumberland County Council by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or
on 01434 652344
The bandstand, on the Sele in Hexham, is in need of urgent
renovation, causing mounting concern throughout the town. The
Mayor, Councillor J V Rad Hare has launched an appeal in 2012, its
100th anniversary, to bring the bandstand back to its true
glory. More information about Hexham’s bandstand can be found
A Brief History
In 1215 the Canons of the Priory of Hexham were given 3.5 acres
and 16 perches of land for cultivation on the Sele (Seal).
This land remained under the ownership of the Church until the work
of dissolution in 1537. However it was not until 1753 that the
owner, Sir Walter Blackett, first opened the Sele to the
The boundary of the Town Park was substantially extended in 1911
when the Abbey Grounds were purchased for the use of the local
community. They were further extended in 1928 when Hexham
House was purchased by Hexham Urban District Council and the
grounds opened to the public.
These three elements make up the Town Park along with the small
Church Flags area on Cowgarth. Hexham is unusual in that these open
spaces remain much as they have always been.
Today Hexham Parks continue to provide a much loved heart to the
town and has held Green Flag Award status from 2002 to
Hexham is a busy and thriving market town which enjoys an
excellent reputation for the quality of its townscape and its
beautiful setting in the Tyne Valley. As such it is a major tourist
destination in Northumberland and is the closest major town to
Hadrian’s Wall. The Park lies between Gilesgate to the North,
Beaumont Street to the East and Hencotes to the South.
Postcode NE46 3NB and grid reference NY 9364 will bring you to
Transport and Parking
The nearest bus stops are located on
The nearest Railway Station is Hexham
Station, on the A6079 Station Road about a 10 minute walk from the
Pay and Display on Beaumont Street adjacent to the 2 park
Features within the Park
Hexham House Gardens
The gardens were built in 1723 and are a natural extension to
the expansive Abbey Grounds and Sele. They contain a well-used
bowling green which supports Hexham Bowling Club, as well as much
enjoyed formal bedding schemes and mixed herbaceous/shrub
The Sensory Garden was developed in partnership with
Newcastle College contains an array of interesting perennial plants
as well as sculptures by William Pym.
Nearby a carved wooden owl welcomes visitors to The Glade, a
peaceful and reflective shady corner of the Park close to Cockshaw
Burn with fine views towards Hexham Abbey.
The mixed herbaceous and shrub borders at the south end of the
Bowling Green and along the western boundary of Hexham House
provide a rich diversity of plants which add contrast to the
striking formal spring and summer bedding displays. Within
the Abbey Grounds shrub planting and drifts of naturalized bulbs
blend seamlessly with the collection of mature trees.
Trees are a very important feature with over 200 in the park.
There is a wide range of species and age groups including new
plantings carried out over the last 5-10 years. This has introduced
age diversity into the group that will assist in maintaining
sustainable tree cover. Also worth noting are the impressive stands
of lime trees lining the west side of the Sele walk and the notable
examples of mature Oaks located within Hexham House Grounds to the
west of the bowling green. The Royal Forestry Society was founded
in Hexham and there are two commemorative Oak trees planted by the
Society located within the Abbey grounds.
Bowling Greens and Pavilion
The Bowling Club was founded in 1929 and continues to have a
The play area is located in the Sele, opposite the First School.
It contains swings, slides and multi-activity units and is suitable
for children aged up to twelve.
The skate park can be found next to the play area and is used by
skaters and BMX riders. It provides a well-used meeting place for
Designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield in 1921 the memorial is
constructed of Portland stone and is used as the focal point for
the annual remembrance service.
The annual Remembrance Sunday Service takes place at the War
Memorial on the Sunday nearest to the 11th November each
Public toilets (including disabled access) are located within
the park boundary immediately north of the children’s play
For disabled users a R.A.D.A.R. key is available from the
Tourist Information Centre.
The Tourist Information Centre is located at the south
end of Wentworth car park. Vehicle access is via either Alemouth
Road at the north east entrance or Priestpopple at the south
Other public toilets are
located opposite the Park in St. Marys Wynd just off Beaumont
The Green Flag