Care and Repair Northumberland


Disabled Facilities Grants

If you have a disability or illness which makes daily life more difficult, you may benefit from having your home adapted to help you carry on with your life independently.

Examples of adaptations include:

  • Installing a stair-lift so that you can continue to use upstairs rooms
  • Constructing a shower area which you can get into without a step
  • Making a wheelchair ramp at the main entrance to your home
  • Fixing grab rails, hand rails or stair rails to help you to move around safely

You should get advice about possible adaptations from an occupational therapist (OT), who will know all the problems that can arise, and understand how your health condition may develop. You must do this if you want help with the costs. Your Care Manager can arrange for an OT to visit you. For further information please click here.

One of the options that may be available is a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG). If you require further information concerning the DFG process please contact Care and Repair Northumberland on 01670 851844, or by email: or

For further information concerning DFGs, please read the Government document ‘Disabled facilities grant'

Homeowner Financial Assistance

We want to help people to live in homes that are safe, warm and secure. To do this we have developed a Financial Assistance Policy which you can view here. It doesn’t matter about your age, income or where you live, we may be able to help you to:

  • Identify what is wrong with your home, and what is needed to put it right
  • Understand how to carry out home maintenance, preventative and improvement works or access the local ‘Handy Person’ Service provided by Care & Repair Northumberland if you are eligible for help
  • Work out what the work may cost if a contractor is required, and to investigate the options for funding the work, this may include help to consider charitable or family funding, use of insurance cover, or how an Independent Financial Advisor may be able to help
  • Choose a suitable contractor and to get fair estimates for the work, and to manage the contractor while works are being carried out
  • Decide whether staying put or moving home offers the better solution for your needs

If you are struggling to afford to keep your home safe and comfortable to live in, an affordable loan may be available too. The Council can help you to access a loan that can be paid back in affordable instalments over many years, or a loan that is paid back when you choose to sell your home or it is inherited by a member of your family. It may even be interest-free depending on your circumstances. If you take out a loan, the Council will help you to choose a suitable contractor, and to get fair estimates for the work. The Council will inspect the standard of the work and pay your loan to the contractor directly so that you don’t have to worry. We will be happy to arrange an appointment to visit you in your home at a convenient time to discuss your requirements.

You can read about the help we can give here.

For more information please contact Lisa Turnbull, Care and Repair Northumberland on 01670 851844, or by email:

Alternatively further information and an on-line enquiry form can be accessed though the Helping Hand website