What is advocacy?

Advocacy is when someone helps you to have your say or speaks for you, if you are struggling to be heard. Advocates support you to be involved in decisions that affect you.

Advocacy service for looked-after children and young people

You could be:
  • worried about moving placements
  • feel like no–one is listening
  • wanting to change something but not sure how
Some things we can help with:
  • writing a letter to your social worker
  • attending meetings and giving adults your views
  • preparing for a review
  • information on your rights
“If you can’t use your voice…. use ours!"

Getting in touch:

Your advocates are Saira Park & Paul Kirkpatrick


Saira: – 01670 623980 or mobile 07917 266278
Paul: – 01670 – 629186 or mobile 07775 220779

Or contact 01670 852225

Northumberland County Council
Participation, Programmes & Advocacy
Northumbria House
Manor Walks Shopping Centre
NE23 6UR

We are available Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm. If we are busy, we have an answer phone and you can leave a message and we will get back to you within two working days.

If you would prefer to speak to an independent advocate (someone that does not work for Northumberland County Council) please contact Action For Children on 01912619212.

Independent advocacy service

If you would prefer to speak to an independent advocate (someone who does not work for Northumberland County Council) you can contact us and we can refer you to Action for Children.

Or you can contact them direct:

Action For Children
3rd Floor
MEA House
Ellison Place
Newcastle upon Tyne

Telephone: (0191) 2619212
FREEPHONE: 0800 0850621

Who are Action for Children?

Action for Children help children and young people in need of support, including children who are disabled or in care, by speaking up for them and promoting their rights.

They work to make sure that people who make decisions about you listen to your views and take them into account. Action for Children is a service that puts the feelings, needs and safety of children and young people above everything else.

They believe children and young people should participate in the decisions and services that affect their lives.

Client relations


If you are happy with the services you receive and you want to give a compliment, we would like to tell the person who works with you. Letting client relations know too means your views can be passed on to the people who plan and manage the service.


If you are unhappy with the service you receive, you have the right to complain. In most cases, complaints can be sorted quickly by talking matters over with your carer, social worker or their team manager. But if you don’t want to talk to them or are having difficulties sorting things out, you can talk to a client relations officer who will try to help.

How to get in touch:
  • Tel: 01670 533888
  • Post: Client Relations Children’s Services, Freepost NEA15580, Morpeth, Northumberland NE61 1BR
  • Email:
  • Freephone: 0800 373615
  • Text: 07766 631 901