An electric vehicle being charged on a cobbled street

Boost to on-street EV infrastructure for residents

Northumberland County Councillors have formally agreed on an expected external funding of £115,337 from the Office for Zero Emission Vehicles (OVEZ) to be used to install on-street residential charge points for electric vehicles (EV).

Road transport accounts for 33% of CO2 in Northumberland according to the most recent report from the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) in 2018.

At present, there are currently no on-street charging points in Northumberland, creating a barrier for at least 20% of residents in EV adaption. 

Cllr Glen Sanderson, Leader of Northumberland County Council, said: “We are eager to invest in EV infrastructure across the county, and are looking at ways in which we can overcome barriers our residents face when switching to electric transport. Those residents without off-street parking do not currently have a convenient way to charge an EV if they were to purchase one. This investment will lead the way in solving this issue.”

Seven sites have been identified as ideal locations to install the first charging points, these include Alnwick, Ashington, Bellingham, Berwick-upon-Tweed, Corbridge, Felton and Haltwhistle. Fifteen charge points will be installed across the seven locations, allowing up to 30 vehicles to charge at any one time.

Cllr Sanderson added: “Transport on our roads is the single biggest contributor to emissions in our county, and it is imperative to decarbonise our vehicles to help reach our goal of net-zero Northumberland by 2030.”

Following this formal agreement of the Cabinet, the Council intends to submit an application to OZEV as part of the Government funding as part of the On-Street Residential ChargePoint Scheme. If successful, the funding will cover 75% of the project costs, with the council matching the remaining 25% of costs projected.
View all news