Bin collection information

also known as: Assisted, Kerbside, Missed, Refuse, Rubbish, Wheeled bin.

Here you should find everything you need to know about your bins, when they are collected and what can go in them!

Please enter your house number and post code into the boxes below to see when your recycling bin, rubbish bin and (optional) garden waste bin will be collected.


Report a missed bin collection

  1. Check that your bin was at the collection point before 7am on your collection day - if not, then unfortunately we will be unable to return to collect it.  See advice below.
  2. If there is a Bank Holiday in the week, there may be a change in your collection day.
  3. Check your neighbours bins have been emptied. Bins are collected between 7am and 5pm and the time may change from week to week
  4. Check your recycling bin wasn’t collected because it was contaminated – is there a tag on your bin or a note through your door?   If so, please read the advice given, remove the offending items and put it out again on your next scheduled recycling collection day.
5Report a missed HOUSE bin here 5Report a missed TRADE bin here

If you fail to put out your bin for collection by 7am and as a result your bin is not emptied, then you are advised that the bin will not be picked up until your next collection day.  Alternatively, you can either take any excess waste to the nearest Household Waste Recovery Centre or pay for a special bulk collection. 

We will aim to empty it on the next working day where practical (except Friday when there are no collections) but it may take us up to two working days.

Get help with your bin (assisted collection)

If you have difficulty putting your bin out, we may be able to help. Residents who may qualify for this service are either:

  • Elderly or infirm
  • Suffer from short or long term illness

There must be no other able bodied person over 16 years of age living at the address. Short term assistance will be reviewed at two monthly intervals if necessary. You will need to give a short explanation of why you are unable to move your bin.

5Apply for an assisted bin collection here

Check what can go in your bins

Check what you can and can’t put into each of your bins.

Yes Please

YesItems that cannot be put into a recycling or garden waste bin

YesFood waste


YesVacuum cleaner contents

YesPlastic film and Polystyrene

YesPet waste

YesShredded paper (if you don’t home compost)

No Thanks

NoAnything which can be recycled

NoVery heavy or electrical items, e.g. television – check our bulky waste service

Yes Please

YesClean paper and card (except shredded paper and paper towels)

YesJunk mail, newspapers, magazines, catalogues and directories

YesCardboard (please flatten)

YesClean food tins and drink cans (please rinse)

YesEmpty aerosol cans

YesPlastic bottles, including drinks, shampoo and detergent bottles (please ensure they are washed and lids removed)

No Thanks

NoShredded paper (put in general waste bin), tissues or paper towels

NoTin foil or foil trays

NoPlastics which aren’t bottles e.g. bags, carrier bags, cling film, plant pots, yoghurt pots, food trays, margarine cartons, bubble wrap

NoTetrapacks (juice and milk cartons)


NoFood waste

NoClothing, shoes and textiles

NoDisposable nappies

NoVery heavy or electrical items, e.g. television – check our bulky waste service

Please remember

You can take your glass and paper based liquid food and drink cartons (Tetra Paks) to our household waste recovery centres and local recycling points.

Yes Please




YesSmall branches


YesTree cuttings

No Thanks

NoKitchen waste (such as fruit and vegetable peelings)

NoSoil or rubble

NoGeneral household rubbish

NoPlant pots or fence panels

NoGarden equipment, fittings or garden furniture

If you are still not sure if you can put something in your bin, please check our recycling directory here.

New or replacement bins

Find out how to order a new or replacement bin and how much it will cost below.

If your bin is lost, stolen or damaged, then you are expected to pay for a replacement unless the bin has been damaged by the council’s collection vehicle or staff when emptied, or if we have agreed that your bins should be permanently left on the roadside.


The charges for a new bin are as follows:

  • £27 for a small (140 litre) recycling or general waste wheeled bin
  • £32 for a standard (240 litre) recycling or general waste wheeled bin
  • £61 for a large (340 litre) recycling or general waste wheeled bin
  • £378 for an extra-large (1100 litre) recycling or general waste wheeled bin

If available, you can request a second hand bin that will still be in a serviceable condition and fit for purpose. The price for a second hand bin is dependent upon its general condition and age and these are made available on a ‘first come – first served’ basis.

How to order a new or replacement bin

You can order a new or replacement bin the following ways:

  • phone: 0345 600 6400
  • in person: at one of our Customer Information Centres

Please note: It is possible to buy a bin from another supplier provided they meet the council’s specifications. Please contact us for more information.

We aim to deliver a replacement bin within 5 working days of payment being received.

New bins for a new home

If you have moved into a home where no bins have been provided, you will need to buy bins for recycling and general waste.

Request a smaller rubbish bin

  • You can exchange your standard (240 litre) rubbish bin for a small (140 litre) bin free of charge.
  • This is providing you are not downsizing your recycling bin only as this does not encourage recycling.

Request a standard sized rubbish bin

  • If your residential property has a small (140 litre) rubbish bin you can purchase a standard (240 litre) wheeled bin for £25, providing the smaller bin is returned to the council.

Request a small or standard rubbish bin

You can request a different sized bin by:

5 Request a smaller bin here

  • phone: 0345 600 6400
  • in person: one of our Customer Information Centres and leave your contact details and your request

Request a bigger rubbish bin

  • It is possible - in some circumstances- to purchase a large (340 litre) bin for general waste for £61 (reduced to £45 if you have a standard or small bin to exchange).

You can request a bigger rubbish bin by:

  • phone: 0345 600 6400
  • in person: one of our Customer Information Centres and leave your contact details and your request

Once you have placed a request, we will then arrange for an officer to contact or visit you to discuss your needs.

Request a bigger recycling bin

  • It is possible to request a bigger recycling bin, which will be free of charge, if assessed as appropriate by your local recycling officer and as long as you have a recycling bin to return at the same time.

You can request a bigger recycling bin by:

  • phone: 0345 600 6400
  • in person: one of our Customer Information Centres and leave your contact details and your request.

Once you have placed a request, we will then arrange for an officer to contact or visit you to discuss your needs.

Frequently asked questions about bin collections

Collections may be disrupted during periods of severe weather. We will provide updates on our homepage. You can also check our alerts Facebook , Twitter and Google+ accounts for latest information during these periods.

We will rearrange missed collections as soon as we can.

Bin collection days change when there are bank holidays. You can use the postcode checker to find your revised collection days.

If a household has contaminated their bin, they will receive either a sticker or a letter through their door.

If only a small amount of the wrong items are put in the recycling bin, such as yoghurt pots, carrier bags and drinks cartons, then the householder will be reminded of the items that are acceptable for recycling and the reasons for this, but normally will still get their recycling bin emptied.

The sorting plant where the recycling bin contents are taken can remove a small amount of contamination from the recyclable waste without the whole load having to be rejected and disposed of.

However, if a household is putting a large amount of non-recyclable items in the recycling bin, or using it to dispose of materials that cause problems at the sorting plant, such as food waste, nappies or glass, then the bin will not be emptied.

If a household continues to deliberately contaminate their recycling bin, then the Council may remove the recycling bin or refuse to empty it. The householder will only have their recycling bin returned or emptied again if they agree not to cause further contamination and pay the standard charge for the re-provision of the recycling bin if applicable.

If the Council has determined that your household is unable to accept a wheeled bin due to a lack of storage space, then you can use bin sacks which you can leave out for collection. We will provide recycling sacks free of charge.

To request recycling sacks, please:

Please do:

  • put your bin out by 7am on collection day at the kerbside or previously agreed collection point
  • make sure you can close the lid on your bin (don’t overfill)
  • take any excess waste you have to your local Household Waste Recovery Centre
  • take your bin back onto your property within 24 hours of it being emptied

Please don’t

  • leave excess waste left alongside your bin - it will not be collected.
  • Put clinical / healthcare waste in your bin but ask your doctor / nurse / pharmacist to recommend what you should do to dispose of this waste.

There are many different types of hazardous waste. The type and quantity of household hazardous waste determines how it can be recycled or disposed of. As much as 5% of household waste can be classified as hazardous due to its potential to harm human health or to pollute the environment.

The most common types of hazardous waste found in the home are:

  • Household batteries
  • Car batteries
  • Garden pesticides
  • Medicines
  • Asbestos
  • Televisions and computer monitors
  • Gas cylinders
  • Fridges and freezers
  • Used engine oil
  • Flammable solvents

Please click here for more information

There are three ways to dispose of hazardous household waste depending on the type and amount.

  1. Household Waste Recovery Centres (HWRCs) accept certain types of hazardous waste. Check what is accepted here.
  2. Return to the retailer. Unwanted household medicines and pharmaceutical products should be returned to the chemist for safe disposal.
  3. Hazardous Waste Collection Service.

Household Waste Recovery Centres cannot accept asbestos, certain types of garden pesticides or flammable solvents. A free collection service operates every month to ensure asbestos and hazardous chemicals from households are disposed of safely.

Apply for a collection and find out more here

Household Asbestos

Any building built before 2000 could contain asbestos. We provide a collection service for household asbestos although we can’t remove it

More advice and information is available here

Households who generate health care wastes should in the first instance seek the advice of their medical practitioners (i.e. district nurse, doctor) regarding the appropriate collection and disposal arrangements for their health care waste. Where arrangements with the NHS cannot be made then please contact us to discuss your requirements.