How to apply for planning permission

Find out how to submit a planning application, how much it will cost & what you need to include.

Before you apply

Before you apply, have a look at the do I need planning permission page and then check you have all the information you need.

When you submit an application you will need to include:

Certain types of development may also need to complete this Non-Mains Drainage Form.

It is also worth checking the Planning Portals guide of what to submit.

The validation checklist provides guidance on the supporting information which is required with your application.

(Please note: we are currently consulting on changes to our validation checklist. Find out more here.)

Please also have a look at the guidance below which explains when additional information may be required with your application:

Please also see the guidance on design and access statements on the Planning Portal.

How to apply

The simplest way to submit a planning application is online here via the Planning Portal.

Apply online here

Over 60% of our applications are now made online.

Why apply online?

  • Registration is quick and easy.
  • You can complete your application form, upload supporting documents and pay your fees all in one place.
  • You can work on your applications in draft before submission.
  • Immediate delivery and acknowledgement of your application.
  • Savings on postage and printing costs.
  • Online help function when completing applications.
  • Online record of your completed applications.

It’s also possible to complete your application form online and submit supporting documents and fees by post.

Help and support

The Planning Portal has put together the following to help you:

If you do want to apply by post, or in person, the application forms are available to download at the bottom of this page, together with guidance notes and a checklist of what you need to include.

Where to send your application

Please post any forms, supporting information and cheques to:

Planning Applications (Development Services)
Northumberland County Council
County Hall
NE61 2EF

Any cheques should be made out to ‘Northumberland County Council’.

Alternatively, you can also hand your completed forms and supporting information into your local planning office.

Planning application fees

Your application will not be processed until we have received the correct fee.

5 Pay your planning fees online here

View all planning application fees here

Need help calculating your fees?

The Planning Portal fee calculator can help you by working out the cost of any particular planning application.

To pay your fee you can:

  • Pay Online - Click here
  • Go into a Customer Information Centre and pay by cash or credit/debit card
  • Send a cheque payable to ‘Northumberland County Council’ to: Planning Applications, Northumberland County Council, County Hall, Morpeth, NE61 2EF
  • Phone: 01670 627040 and pay by credit/debit card

After submission – what to expect

After you have submitted your application there are a number of steps it will go through before we make a decision.

Once an application is received we:

  • check the information provided to ensure that it is accurate
  • check that the application is complete
  • make sure that the correct fee has been paid

Delays can be caused if:

  • we need to contact you to clarify matters
  • we need to ask for extra information
  • the plans are not accurate


When all the information is complete we will register your application and send you or your agent a confirmation letter.

Each application is given a planning reference number and this should be quoted on all correspondence.

We will make the details of your application available on the Public Access system.


We aim to make a decision on most planning applications within eight weeks although this is not always possible.

For larger or more complex applications, this may take up to 13 weeks or longer especially if an Environmental Impact Assessment is required.

Have a look at the planning application process page to find out more about the decision making process.

Planning application forms, guidance notes and checklists

The application forms that you need are available below, together with guidance notes and checklists of what you need to include in your application.

Please look at these carefully - if you do not provide the right documents or if you fill in the application form incorrectly, your application may be deemed invalid.

Remember you can apply online here.

Alternatively you can apply by post or in person.

Householder applications deal with:

  • house extensions
  • garages
  • enlargements to gardens
  • erection of walls and fences to domestic properties, or any other outbuildings within the boundary of your own dwelling

Please note: if your property is a listed building you must also apply for listed building consent.

If you wish to erect a new dwelling you must apply for full or outline planning permission.

Application form

Full planning permission allows applicants to obtain permission for:

  • new buildings
  • change of use
  • property extensions
  • creation of flats

Application form

To obtain approval for the principle of a development.

Outline planning permission with some matters reserved

Outline planning permission with all matters reserved

Approval of reserved matters that were not included within the outline permission:

Removal or variation of conditions:

To apply for conditions to be altered or removed that were granted as part of the original planning permission.

Discharge of Conditions

Most approvals are subject to conditions and these are listed on your Decision Notice Certificate. These form part of your permission and must be adhered to. Non-compliance could result in the council taking enforcement action.

Some conditions may require additional information to be submitted to this unit prior to the starting of any works, whilst others are ongoing, either just during the construction period or for the life of the development.

If you are uncertain about any of the conditions attached to your permission, please contact the planning case officer.

To apply to undertake works to trees subject to a Tree Preservation Order (TPO) or trees within a conservation area; or to remove a hedgerow.

Trees subject to a TPO and/or in Conservation Areas:


Application for a new planning permission to replace an extant planning permission

in order to extend the time limit for implementation.

Application for replacement of associated listed building and/or conservation area consents in order to extend the time limit for implementation.


If you are the sole owner of the land to which your planning application relates, you must sign Certificate A on the application form.

If, 21 days before the application you were not the sole owner of any part of the land, you will need to formally notify the owner(s) of the land. You do this by completing Notice No.1 and sending it to anyone who was the owner, or part owner, of any part of the site.

You will also have to sign Certificate B on the application form.

Application Form

  • Notice 1 - Article 11 - This notice is to be printed and served on individuals prior to completing Certificate B or C.
  • Notice 2 - Article 11 - This notice is for publication in local newspaper if Certificate C or D is completed.

Application form to Vary Section 106 Planning Obligation