Housing benefit - change of circumstances

This page contains information on how to notify us of a change in your circumstances that may affect your housing benefit.

Change of Circumstances

It is very important that you tell us about any changes in your, or any member of your households, circumstances within one month of the change. 

If you don't you may lose money you are entitled to, or you may get too much benefit which you may have to pay back. 

If the change results in the overpayment of benefit to you, we have the power to recover the overpayment from you. 

Please download a change of circumstances form, complete and either post or fax the completed form to the address below. 


Examples of changes that you must tell us about

Changes to the money you get

  • you or anyone living with you gets a job (no matter how many hours they work), changes their job or leaves their job
  • you start or stop getting Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance, Employment Support Allowance
  • you start or stop getting Tax Credits
  • the money you or your partner gets increases or decreases
  • the money non-dependants get increases or decreases
  • there are any other changes in the money people in your home get. 

Changes in your home

  • you change your address. 
    If you move address within Northumberland you may download a change of address form here
  • the number of people in your home changes - for example, someone has a baby
  • anyone moves into or out of your home (including lodgers and sub-tenants)
  • your rent changes, your landlord changes or moves

Other changes

  • you, or your partner, go into hospital for more than 6 weeks
  • you, or your partner, become a student, or stop being a student
  • the amount of savings or capital you have changes
  • any of your children leave school or leave home.

In all cases it is your duty to notify us of any change in your circumstances.  Do not rely on someone else to pass the message on.


How to inform us of your change

You must notify us of your change in writing.  Therefore you may either; 



It is important that you provide us with the original proof/evidence that supports your change in circumstances where appropriate, for example payslips, bank statements or birth certificate.

If you require further help or information please telephone 0845 600 6400.


Useful links

You may use our benefits calculator to see how your change in circumstances may affect your benefit. Benefits Calculator

You may also find the following sites useful: 


Contact Details


Benefits Section
Northumberland County Council
Wansbeck Square
NE63 9XL

Telephone: 0845 6006400

The council now offers nine local area code telephone numbers for customers to use when calling the central contact centre.  For more details about the numbers, along with frequently asked questions, please click here.

Fax: 01670 620098

email: benefits@northumberland.gov.uk