Northumberland County Council > About the council > Contact Us > Compliments, complaints and su

Compliments, complaints and suggestions

also known as: Compliments, Member complaints, School complaints, Social services complaints, Suggestions.

Information should you wish to complain or compliment the council about a service.

We want to hear from you

We want to provide you with the best possible service. To help us to do this, we are always happy to hear your feedback and use this to help us improve the way we do things.

If we are doing something well, please let us know so that we can pass this on to our employees. If there is something you are unhappy with, we want to know about it so that we can put things right and learn from what has happened.

If you are contacting the council for the first time to report a problem or book a service (such as fixing a pothole or tree maintenance), you can do this online without registering a formal complaint:

Please click below to report a problem to us:

5Report a problem online here

Or you can contact us here.

Please note: If you want to report a concern about somebody other than the council or its representatives, such as a letting us know about the antisocial behaviour of a neighbour, you should do so through this route.

Please select one of the below options to contact us:

Comments & Suggestions

If you would like to contact us to make a general comment or suggestion about how we could improve or develop our services, we would love to hear from you.

5Make a comment or suggestion online here

Your comment or suggestion will be passed on to the relevant employee or team and if you would like us to, we will get back in touch with you within 15 working days.


We are sorry that you are unhappy about the actions, or lack of action, from the council. We want to hear about your experience so that we can put things right and learn from what has happened.

5Make a complaint online here

Types of complaints

We want to make sure that the right person or team deals with your complaint as quickly as possible and so we have specific processes in place for dealing with different types of complaints:

For complaints in relation to Schools in Northumberland

5Make a Education complaint online here

For complaints in relation to Social Care for Childrens

5Make a children's services complaint online here

For complaints in relation to Social Care for Adults you should contact

5Make a adult social care complaint online here

If you wish to complain about the conduct of an elected member of the County Council, you must complete a complaints form and return it to us by either post or email.

Please return your completed form, together with any supporting documentation to:

The Monitoring Officer
Legal Services Unit
Northumberland County Council
County Hall
NE61 2EF


If you make a complaint it must be about why you think a member has not followed the Code.

The Member’s Code of Conduct is part of the County Council Constitution - click here to view the Code of Conduct adopted on 4th July 2012.

To assist you we have also prepared an indicative flowchart which set out how the process works for handling complaints about elected members – click here to view the flowchart.

Recent Decisions

Any complaint other than those mentioned above is covered by the Council’s Corporate Complaints Procedure. When dealing with complaints through this procedure we aim to:

  • Wherever possible, reach an agreement with you straight away to put things right
  • Acknowledge receipt of your complaint within 3 working days
  • Respond in full within 15 working days
  • If a response will take longer; keep you informed about progress and agree a timescale with you for responding

If we have already responded to your complaint, but you are unhappy with the decision or outcome, you can ask us to look at your complaint again.

If you would like to ask us to look at your complaint again, the quickest way to do this is by filling in our online form by clicking here:

5Re submit a complaint online here

Alternatively, you can contact the Council’s Complaints team:

Or you can contact us here.


Once we receive your request, we will make sure that we look again at both your original complaint and the response that you received. We will write to you with the results of our investigation within 20 working days.

What if I am still unhappy?

Should you remain unhappy with the response which you receive, you have the right to contact the Local Government Ombudsman at;

The Local Government Ombudsman
PO Box 4771
Telephone 0300 061 0614
Fax 024 7682 0001
Text 'call back' to 0762 480 4299


Thank you for taking the time to let us know about something we have done well.  We really appreciate compliments as it allows our employees to be recognised for their work, and helps us to keep improving services for you.

5Submit a compliment online here

Your compliment will be passed to the relevant employee or team so that your feedback can be shared with the right people.

Your compliment will be used to help us celebrate what our teams have done well and help us to share best practice across the council so that we can keep providing you with high quality services.

If you would like us to, we will get back in touch about your feedback within 15 working days.