The type and quantity of hazardous waste determines how it can be recycled or disposed of.
Below are three ways Northumberland residents can dispose of hazardous waste, depending on what type of waste you have.
1. At one of our household waste recovery centres (HWRCs)
2. Return the waste to the retailer
If you have unwanted household medicines and pharmaceutical products, you can return them to the chemist for safe disposal.
3. Use our hazardous waste collection service
We offer a free collection service every month for waste that our centres won’t accept such as asbestos, some garden pesticides and flammable solvents.
You must ensure that your hazardous materials are prepared properly for collection.
Prepare your hazardous materials for collection
- For each item please provide the product name, manufacturer, quantity and state if the container is leak proof.
- leak-proof containers - store all of the chemicals in a box for efficient collection
- non leak-proof container - double bag and store separately from the other chemicals
Apply for our hazardous waste collection service
If you have any doubts about the removal of asbestos, you can get professional advice from either:
- The maximum weight allowed for collection is 360kg. This is approximately equivalent to a single garage roof or 12 sheets at 6ft x 3ft.
- Asbestos sheets must be double wrapped in plastic sheeting and taped.
- Damp proof membrane (DPM) is the recommended plastic sheeting.
- Do not break asbestos sheets or any other materials containing asbestos into pieces.
- If there happens to be any small or broken pieces carefully place these into heavy duty bags, double-bag and seal, e.g. fertiliser bags.
- Please make sure all bagged and wrapped asbestos are not too heavy for one person to lift (approx 25kg) and labelled as asbestos.
- Our service is for collection only. Please read the removal advice in our guide booklet. Additional information can also be found in this information sheet.
For assistance with dismantling and preparing asbestos for collection:
- a licensed asbestos removal company
- the environmental health department - contact us here
- the Health and Safety Executive (HSE)
|ASM Environmental Ltd (Blyth)
Tel 01670 365756
|County Environmental (Blyth)
Tel 01670 368609
|Chairman. Contact Gordon Blue
Tel: 0191 414 8000
Contact John Shenton. Tel: 0191 414 4242
|Halt Insulation Ltd, Contact Peter Orrick
Tel: 0191 420 0550, mobile 0777 4747247
Tel: 01670 734 477
2016 and 2017 monthly collection dates for hazardous household waste
||Date to be submitted (by 4 pm)
|Tuesday 6 and Wednesday 7 December
||Tuesday 29 November 2016
|Tuesday 10 and Wednesday 11 January
||Monday 19 December 2016
|Tuesday 7 and Wednesday 8 February
||Monday 30 January 2017
|Tuesday 7 and Wednesday 8 March
||Monday 27 February 2017
|Tuesday 4 and Wednesday 5 April
||Monday 27 March 2017
|Tuesday 2 and Wednesday 3 May
||Monday 24 April 2017
|Tuesday 6 and Wednesday 7 June
||Monday 29 May 2017
|Tuesday 4 and Wednesday 5 July
||Monday 26 June 2017
|Tuesday 1 and Wednesday 2 August
||Monday 24 July 2017
|Tuesday 5 and Wednesday 6 September
||Monday 28 August 2017
|Tuesday 3 and Wednesday 4 October
||Monday 25 September 2017
|Tuesday 7 and Wednesday 8 November
||Monday 30 October 2017
|Tuesday 5 and Wednesday 6 December
||Monday 27 November 2017