The council provides a service for collecting bulky waste items.
Which bulky waste items do we collect?
Please check the list below to see if we can collect your bulky waste. All those listed are classed as one item. Loose materials must be bagged or bundled and light enough for one person to lift safely or it won’t be collected.
If you don’t see your bulky waste item listed, please see our list of commonly requested items we don't collect below, and whether we may still be able to dispose of the items for a fee.
- coffee table
- bathroom cabinet
- office chair
- office desk
- bed (mattress and bed frame)
- dressing table
- chest of drawers
- DVD player
- computer monitor/screen
- mobile phone/accessories
- small electrical items e.g. kettle, toaster, hair dryer, straighteners
- freezer (max size - 1m x 1m x 2m)
- cooker hood
- washing machine
- tumble dryer
- trampoline (must be dismantled)
- swing (must be dismantled)
- car body parts e.g. car battery, tyre
- Radiator (no asbestos)
- carpets - one roll under 6ft in height (for larger carpets contact us for a quote for removal)
- stair gate
- exercise equipment e.g. treadmill, exercise bike
- bagged items e.g. one bag (light enough for one person to lift) of household waste or garden waste
We will collect textiles such as bags of clothes and curtains, free of charge if you are also paying for other things to be collected. This excludes duvets and pillows, which would be charged for per bag.
Commonly requested bulky items we can't collect
- plaster and plasterboard
- fixtures and fittings e.g. coving, dado rails, doors, door frames, window frames, light fittings
- fence panels/timber
- kitchen units or sinks
- bathroom suites
- bath or bath panel
- shower (cubicle or tray)
We may be able to provide a quote for removal of these items, so please contact us
for more information.
Special bulky waste collections
For free removal of small amounts of hazardous waste, e.g. asbestos and pesticides, please look at our hazardous waste collection service
We can quote for removal of your plastic oil heating tanks but they must be cut in half, disconnected from pipe work and completely empty of oil. Alternatively, cut and clean as mentioned and take them to your household waste recovery centre
Please contact us
for more information.
For metal oil tanks you will need to contact a specialist company, for example, Atlantis
Prices for bulky waste collection
Collection price is determined by how many items you have and whether you are eligible for concession, please see below for details. The prices for collections from 1st April 2017 are as follows:
*We offer a 50% concession for residents who are full-time students or claiming the following benefits (this does not apply if your job requires a quotation):
NB. Neither the full rate nor the concessionary rates are available for landlords / property developers. These rates are for householders who wish to have removed waste from their own home, that they live in.
Proof of elegibility for concessionary rates must be available for inspection in order to claim the concession.
Landlords, property developers and other businesses are invited to contact us for quotes for a bulky collection.
These are the choice of benefits etc which householders must qualify for in order to claim concessionary rates.
- income support
- personal independence payment / disability living allowance
- job seekers’ allowance
- attendance allowance
- housing benefit
- mobility allowance
- pension credit
- severe disablement allowance
- council tax benefit
- incapacity benefit
How to book & pay for bulky waste collection
At the time of booking, choose a collection day for your bulky waste and we will arrange to collect it between 7am and 5pm. You must tell us if you are booking a concession collection, as you may be asked to provide evidence of eligibility (Please note, there are no concessionary rates for quoted for collections).
Cancelling/changing your collection
You must inform us if you wish to cancel your collection. Please do this as soon as possible, so we don’t waste time and fuel.
Also, please tell us if you want to amend your collection, so we can make sure there is space on the vehicle.
Please have your reference number handy when contacting us.
If you need a refund, we will issue you a cheque.
Phone: 0345 600 6400 or use one of our local numbers
Assistance with putting your items out
If you need help putting your bulky items out, we can offer an assisted collection. Please let us know if you require assistance at the time of booking. You will need to give a short explanation of why you are unable to move your items out of your property.
Important information for collection day
Check our terms and conditions
- Put the items for collection outside your property.
- Place items as close as possible to where your wheeled household waste bin is collected.
- Items should be in an area that is easily accessible and not likely to cause injury/inconvenience.
- We can collect waste from just inside your property if you are unable to place it outside or if this will cause an obstruction. You must be present and will be asked to sign an insurance disclaimer for any accidental damage that may be caused. Please inform us of this at the time of booking.
- If you live in a flat, items must be left on the ground floor outside the building and easily identified.
- Bag any loose materials, ensuring they are light enough for one person to carry, or unfortunately we will not be able to take them.