The policy and strategy sets out the plan's aims, themes, levels of service, asset groups and how they are managed, performance monitoring and overarching processes.
The policy and strategy is based on the fundamental principles set out in national guidance documents.
The overarching aim to be adopted by the county council in respect of managing and maintaining highways and transport is:
- “To provide a fully integrated, safe, reliable and sustainable network of transport assets, recognising the need to cater for all modes of transportation in a modern and dynamic society without acting to the detriment of future users.”
The four key themes that have been adopted for highways management in Northumberland reflect those in the well-maintained highways code of practice.
- For safety our aim is to improve standards on the network in order to reduce the number of road traffic casualties.
- For serviceability our aim is to improve the condition of transport assets and to develop the extent to support a fully integrated, suitably available and reliable network which contributes to the wider objectives of Northumberland.
- For sustainability our aim is to protect the financial and environmental value of the asset by maximising the benefits of partnership working with both internal and external agencies and paying careful consideration to the impacts of all actions on climate change.
- For customer service our aim is to ensure that transport assets provide community focussed solutions.