Flytipping rubbish on the side of the road

Fly tipper fined as public warned to beware of cowboy rubbish collectors 

A fly tipper who dumped rubbish in Northumberland has been brought to justice following an investigation by environmental enforcement officers at Northumberland County Council. 

Christopher John Arkle (38) of Pine Street, Seaton Burn has been ordered to pay a total of £781.14 by South East Northumberland Magistrates after pleading guilty to a fly tipping offence in Cramlington in March last year. 

On 5th March 2019 following a report of a fly tip on land at Bassington Lane, Bassington Industrial Estate, Cramlington, an Environmental Enforcement Officer from Northumberland County Council attended the site.  

The fly tip, comprised mainly household waste and included carpet, underlay, a footstool and a magazine rack. On further investigation it transpired that Arkle had cleared a friend’s flat and had dumped some of the items from that clearance.  

Mr Arkle attended the council offices for interview where he admitted that he had tipped the items from a van he had hired.  
Magistrates fined him £200 and ordered him to pay £250 legal costs, £301.14 investigation charges and a £30 victim surcharge. 

Northumberland County Councillor Glen Sanderson cabinet member for environment and local services said:   
“This is another example of where a resident has employed someone in good faith to clear their rubbish, which has then been illegally dumped. 
“Residents must always ensure they use a registered waste carrier, who will dispose of their waste lawfully at an authorised site. The onus is on the owner of the waste to make sure it is disposed of lawfully otherwise they too run the risk of prosecution. 
“We are advising householders to be particularly wary of businesses that only operate through social media and do not seem to have a landline phone number or business address. They should also be wary of anyone coming to their door offering to take away rubbish on the cheap. 
“Before handing over their waste to anyone, residents must also ask to see a current waste carriers licence issued by the Environment Agency and obtain a waste transfer note or invoice from the business which should include the vehicle registration number used for removal and where the waste is going. If they cannot give you these items, then do not give them your waste.” 
View all news