Top Tips to keep your child safe this Halloween
29 Oct 2019 ARCHIVED (over 3 months old) - view latest news
Halloween is an exciting time for children, but trick-or-treating can become dangerous in a second.
Keep your children safe this autumn with top tips from the Trading Standards Team at Northumberland County Council and Northumberland Fire & Rescue Service.
- Always check that children’s costumes carry the ‘CE’ logo
- Read any instructions and safety information carefully
- Don’t let children near naked flames - use LED lights instead of candles
- Make sure the child’s costume doesn’t drag on the ground
- Wear sturdy shoes for trick-or-treating
- Use a torch when walking alongside roads at night
- Make sure children can see through eyeholes in masks
- Ensure toy weapons are soft and flexible
In the case of a costume catching fire, remember STOP, DROP and ROLL.
what you’re doing
to the ground
until the fire is completely out
Call emergency services on 999 for further assistantce.
For more useful tips, watch our short safety video below.