Reminder to stay fire safe this festive period
20 Dec 2017 ARCHIVED (over 3 months old) - view latest news
Christmas is the time of year for festive cheer with family and friends and Northumberland Fire and Rescue Service want everyone to have a great time, we are also taking this opportunity to remind residents throughout Northumberland to protect themselves and loved ones from fires at home.
Faulty Christmas tree lights can cause fires, however, there are simple steps you can take to protect yourself and loved ones by making sure your lights are in safe working order.
- Check your Christmas tree lights conform to the British Standard (BS EN 60598)
- Check there is no faulty wiring
- Don’t overload sockets
- Switch off lights when you leave the room and don’t leave them unattended
- If you have a real Christmas tree, don’t forget to water it regularly
- Never place candles near the Christmas tree or materials that can catch alight easily and never leave lit candles unattended
Paul Hedley, Chief Fire Officer said: “Christmas can be a great time of the year and we ask all residents to make sure their safety is paramount.
“Christmas tree lights can cause fires, but if you follow our safety advice you are helping to reduce your risk of fire at the home.
“It is also very important to remember to water your real Christmas trees as a watered tree also helps to reduce burn time, if your tree does unfortunately catch fire.”
If you discover a fire, remember to get out, stay out and dial 999.
From all at Northumberland Fire and Rescue Service, have a happy and safe festive period.