Roadworks, closures & diversions

Here you will find information about roadworks, road closures and diversions in Northumberland.

Find out live information on where roads are closed or diverted.

Northumberland County Council now publishes information to an online system called one network: You can find out where there will be temporary traffic management, and information about works being carried out around the county.

Search for a location, zoom in on an area on the map to find more detailed information, including proposed diversions, are search for an area in the search bar in the top left corner of the screen. More detail about the works will be shown, including the dates along with the responsible party.
If you need further details about any of the works that appear on the live system, please call 0345 600 6400.

Sudden and/or unplanned emergency road closures due to bad weather (snow, ice, flooding etc.) are displayed on our alerts and reminders page and on our homepage.

The cost for applying for the road closure notice is currently £1,400, which must be paid by the person requesting the notice. It is their responsibility to organise and pay for required traffic management. As there is a legal process to be undertaken, at least six weeks’ notice of closure is required.

Emergency closures are at a cost of £550

A request for a temporary traffic regulation order should be submitted to the Northumberland County Council streetworks team using the documentation below.

You can email or fax the application using the details below:




If you are organising a public event you can notify the Council by completing an Event Notification Form. Due to the large numbers of people who may attend events such as fêtes, sporting events, carnivals, etc the safety of the public and the environment is at risk if they’re not managed properly.

Northumberland County Council and partners (including Northumbria Police, North East Ambulance Service and Northumberland Fire & Rescue Service) are members of the Northumberland Safety Advisory Group (SAG). Safety advisory group representatives consider event proposals and help assess the risks to the general public.

By completing this form, an assessment can be carried out to identify if a SAG would be appropriate and to identify if any licences or consents may be legally required to enable the event to take place.

For more information on the Safety Advisory, organising events and to download the Event Notification Form click here 

Completed Event Notification Forms are to be sent to

Road Closures for Events

If you require a road closure to enable your event to take place, a legal order is required to close the road. The following table provides information on the type of order applied and any associated charge;


Description of event

Legal Order


Public processions, rejoicings or illuminations

Town and Police Clauses Act 1847 - Section 21

Free of charge

Sporting event, social event or entertainment which is held on the highway


Advertised once in the local press to alert road users

For events with minimal disruption to road users - this will not be advertised in press and is at the discretion of Northumberland County Council

Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 - Section 16A


(admin fee)

An event which takes place off the highway but a closure or restriction/prohibition is required on the highway in connection with the event


As part of the legal process for the order this is advertised twice in the local press

Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 - Section 14



If you are unsure of which order is required for your event please contact us on 01670 620500 or email us at

If you require a road closure, as well as completing an Event Notification Form, you will need to complete a Road Closure Application;

Please submit this application along with your Event Notification Form.

Please note that a minimum of 6 weeks notice is required for all closure applications.
Also please note that it is the responsibility of the event organiser to contact either their chosen traffic management company or the respective Northumberland County Council traffic management ofiicer in order to arrange traffic management for a road closure.

Northumberland County Councils Traffic Management Officers are as follows;
North/South East - Kevin Scott
West/Central - Andy Murgatroyd

​The Northumberland County Council Street Works Permit Scheme has now been in operation since February 2020. Please find below a review of the first year. 

Click here to view the NCC streetworks Permit Scheme year one review.

The Northumberland County Council Street Works Permit Scheme was approved by Cabinet on 12 November 2019.  The implementation date of the scheme is expected to be 3 February 2020. 

The consultation for the scheme began on 24 July 2019 and concluded on 23 October 2019. Consultation responses were collated and amendments made to the scheme document before it was presented to Cabinet. Please find below all associated scheme documentation, including a document with our responses to all comments raised during the consultation.  
Most of our residents use our highway network on a daily basis, through activities such as driving to work, walking to school, accessing local services and cycling around our beautiful countryside. This network is over 5,200 km long and valued at over £5.8 billion and we want this extensive asset to support our corporate commitments in ensuring that everyone can: 
  • feel safe, valued, and part of their community 
  • live in distinctive vibrant places, which they value and in which they feel proud 
  • easily get to work, to learning, and to access the various facilities and services they want to use
Street and roadworks carried out by works promoters (including work by utility companies, developers and maintenance work by the local authority) can cause significant disruption. Currently, there is a system in place whereby works promoters give notice to the local authority to carry out their works on the highway.
Under the permit scheme, works promoters will book time on the highway network by applying for a permit prior to carrying out any works.  The permit scheme enables the local authority to effectively manage and coordinate essential street and roadworks.
The aims of the permit scheme are to:
  • reduce occupation of the highway for both street and highway works in order to minimise disruption to the travelling public
  • improve compliance with the relevant codes of practice and conditions
  • ensure accurate information is available to the public through improved quality of information received from all works promoters
  • ensure all works promoters are treated fairly and with parity
  • encourage collaborative working between all works promoters
In addition, national statutory guidance for all permit schemes in England can be found on GOV.UK.

If you have any queries, please click here to email the Streetworks team 

In preparation for the implementation of the Northumberland County Council Street Works Permit Scheme, the Council undertook a thorough review of the county's traffic sensitivity as this had not been updated since 1999. Clearly the road network had changed over this 20 year period, greater urbanisation of the county has resulted in traffic flows increasing significantly and it was therefore important that the Council has an accurate picture of the road network asset. 

In order for the appropriate permit charges to be levied, it was vital to adequately scutinise the data as traffic sensitivity impacts on charging in all permit schemes. A public consultation ran for four weeks from 18/12/2019 to 15/01/2020 to allow for any feedback to be received.

Under section 64 of the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 (NRSWA), a street authority may designate certain streets, or parts of streets, as traffic sensitive. It is a designation that allows highly trafficked highways to be identified as requiring works promoters to give greater advanced warning of proposed works activities.  Designations may apply to certain times of day, days of the week or days of the year and depending on the circumstances may apply to carriageway only, footway or pedestrian area only or to any part or length of a street. The traffic sensitivity details are held in the National Street Gazetteer (NSG) and this contains all the information that utilities need to know about roads that are identified for works. 

Traffic sensitivity reviews can be done in two distinct ways. The first is based on a set of predefined criteria, such as gritting routes and traffic flow levels; whilst the other option uses internal expertise to scrutinise the network to agree categorisations based on knowledge of the individual streets. Given the importance of the traffic sensitivity as the charging element of the permit scheme, Northumberland County Council elected to use the latter. This will ensure accurate charging whilst also helping to achieve the permit scheme’s ultimate goal of facilitating and promoting best practice on the roads to the benefit of both works promoters and the travelling public.    

The consultation documents were issued to an array of stakeholders, including internal staff, utility companies and emergency services that operate in the county as well as being made available to the general public via the Council's website. No feedback was received during the consultation period demonstating a tacit agreement that the extensively detailed work done on the traffic sensitivity has created an accurate picture of the Council's road network asset.  

The below attachments detail the Council's agreed traffic sensitive streets:

  • a table listing all of the traffic sensitive streets and;

  • a link to an interactive map displaying those streets




  • If you have any problems or enquiries regarding streetworks or delays on the roads, then telephone us on 0345 6006400.
Streetworks Privacy Statement

Please find attached the Streetworks-Privacy-Notice
Please find information about the 2020 Summer resurfacing programme below

Road No. Location.
B6342 Matfen Village North
C224/C211 Kirkheaton to B6309 junct
C340 Harwood Gate to Rothley Crossroads
C343 Stamfordham to Fenwick
U9022 Standing Stone to West Moorhouses
B6528 Houghton Moor
B6306 Linnels Farm to Wooley jnct
B6305 Low Gate to West Nubbock
A686 Herd House to County Boundary
A689 Whitwham Farm to Slaggyford Village
B6318 Greenhead to Gilsland
B6318 Stanegate to Milecastle Inn
B6320 Chollerford to Keeper Shields
C219 Humshaugh Village
C220 Dalla Bank to A6079
A68 Chantry Farm jnct to Stagshaw Rndbt
  Bradley Fell Road, Kyo Bog Lane, Greenside
C308 Pennyfine Road, Sunniside
C317 Rockcliffe Way, Eighton Banks
C395 East Cramlington Bends
B1326 Bothal Bank to A1068 Sheepwash Road
B1337 Ulgham to Widdrington Station
B6320 Woodpark to Whitewall Nook
C202 Redesmouth Village to Bellingham
A68 Horsley to Redesdale
B6341 Bilsmoor Bank to Elsdon
B6341 Thropton to Flotterton
C33 Pawston to Scottish Border
C1 Norham to Norham West Mains
C1 A698 to East Mains
C178 Whittingham 30 limits to The Avenue, Callaly
C90 Garmentedge Bank Top to Battle Bridge
C80 Denwick to Peppermoor
C94 Bilton Bank
C390 Swarland to Newton Hall
C106 North End Longframlington to Alnwick Ford
C145 Longwitton to Netherwitton
B6524 Gubeon to Whalton Village
C347 Limestone Lane, Ponteland

Project Location Start Date Finish Date
HI201247 Windburgh Drive, Cramlington 26/05/20 28/05/20
HI201244 Garforth/Glencoe/Gresham, Cramlington 29/05/20 02/06/20
HW203119 Balfour Street, Blyth 03/06/20 03/06/20
HW203121 Winchester Avenue, Blyth 03/06/20 03/06/20
HI201242 Haydon Road, Ashington 04/06/20 08/06/20
HI201240 Front Street, Newbiggin 09/06/20 09/06/20
HI201236 Darras Road, Darras Hall 10/06/20 13/06/20
HI201237 Eastern Way, Darras Hall 14/06/20 14/06/20
HI201243 Chester Grove, Seghill 15/06/20 16/06/20
HI201235 Percy Road, Shilbottle 17/06/20 17/06/20
HI201234 Chatton village 17/06/20 19/06/20