Electoral Registration

The electoral register is a list of people who are eligible to vote in elections and referendum in Northumberland. You can not vote if your name does not appear on the register.

Here you will find information on how you can register to vote.

Please note details are NOT available on line to look at the electoral register, however this can be viewed in person at our local offices.  Please contact elections on 01670 624811 for details.
2017 Annual Canvass of Electors

Public Statement Regarding Misprint of Household Enquiry Forms

The Council is currently undertaking the 2017 annual canvass. This is the statutory process through which we seek to check the electoral registration details at every residential property across the county. We do this by sending a household enquiry form (HEF), which gives the details of those people currently registered, and asks for confirmation or amendment of these details as necessary.

Unfortunately, a production error on these forms has led to the miscommunication of electors’ details concerning their inclusion on the open register.

The open register is an extract of the electoral register, but is not used for elections. It can be bought by any person, company or organisation. For example, it is used by businesses and charities to confirm name and address details.

On the HEF form every elector’s existing open register status was reversed. Those who are opted out were stated to be included, and those who are included were stated to be opted out.

The Council would like to assure the public that this misprint in no way affects anyone’s actual opt out status. Anyone currently opted out will remain so, and anyone currently included will also remain so.

Anyone who responded to the HEF form they recently received on the false understanding that they were opted out will receive a letter in the post in due course. This letter will set out the actual open register status at the property and will make it clear what householders need to do in order to opt out if this is their wish.

The Council has identified how this production error has occurred and has put in place robust measures to ensure that this cannot be repeated in the future. We are striving to give every elector the opportunity to ensure their open register status reflects their wishes. We have made the Electoral Commission aware of this issue and given them our assurance that we are seeking to address this is in the best interests of all registered electors.

Geoff Paul

Electoral Registration Officer
  1. Click on the Register to vote form above.
  2. Fill in your name, address, date of birth and a few other details. You’ll also need your national insurance number, which can be found on your national insurance card, or in official paperwork, such as payslips and letters about benefits or tax credits.
  3. Look out for a confirmation to say you’re registered.
To find out more, click here.

Click here to view frequently asked questions on individual electoral registration.

The household enquiry form (HEF) includes information currently held on the electoral register about people living at a particular address. You will be sent a form ‘Who is eligible to vote’ (HEF) if we don’t have up-to-date records of some households and need to find out who lives there and who could be eligible to vote.

Click here for FAQs on household enquiry forms.
Using information received from the public, registration officers keep two registers: the electoral register and the open register.

The electoral register
The electoral register lists the names and addresses of everyone registered to vote in public elections. The register is used for electoral purposes, such as making sure only eligible people can vote. It is also used for other limited purposes specified in law, such as detecting crime (e.g. fraud), calling people for jury service and checking credit applications.

The open register
The open register is an extract of the electoral register but is not used for elections. It can be bought by any person, company or organisation. For example, it is used by businesses and charities to confirm name and address details. Your name and address will be included in the open register unless you ask for them to be removed. Removing your details from the open register does not affect your right to vote.

If you wish to be removed from the open register, please contact the elections team on 01670 624811 or email elections@northumberland.gov.uk.
You can register to vote if you are 16 years old or over and a British citizen or an Irish, qualifying Commonwealth or European Union citizen who is resident in the UK.

If you are 16 or 17, you can only register if you will be 18 within the lifetime of the electoral register. You cannot vote until you are 18.

If you are a citizen of one of these countries and resident in the UK, you are eligible to register to vote in UK elections.

To qualify, Commonwealth citizens must be resident in the UK and either have leave to remain in the UK or not require such leave.

The definition of a 'Commonwealth citizen' includes citizens of British crown dependencies and British overseas territories.
Specific advice for postal voting at the Parliamentary election 8 June 2017

Generic advice postal voting any election 

To vote by post at any election we must receive your application at the very latest by 5pm on the 11th working day before the election. If you require information about alternatives to voting in person, please contact the elections team at County Hall on 01670 624811 or email elections@northumberland.gov.uk

When we get your application, we record on the electoral register that you want to vote by post. You will not be allowed to vote at a polling station while you have a postal vote.

You will receive a ballot paper, a postal vote statement which you have to fill in, an envelope to put the ballot paper in, and a postage-paid return envelope (not valid overseas).

Return your completed ballot paper and your postal vote statement to Northumberland County Council.

It is your responsibility to post it back in time to reach us before the close of poll on election day.

If you leave it too late to post it, you can take it on election day (before the close of poll) to the polling station in the area where you normally vote and hand it to the presiding officer.

Receipt of postal votes a head of polling day will differ depending on when your application was received. Your postal voter polling card will indicate your expected delivery date. Alternatively you can contact the elections office on 01670 624811 for an indication of when you should receive your postal vote pack. 

please return you postal vote to 
Elections Office
Northumberland County Council
County Hall
NE61 2EF
To vote by proxy at any election, we must receive your application at the very latest by 5pm on the sixth working day before the election. If you wish to enquire about a proxy vote, you should contact the elections team by phoning 01670 624811 or email elections@northumberland.gov.uk

Who qualifies for a proxy vote?
To get a proxy vote you must be able to show you cannot reasonably be expected to go to the polling station. For example, because:
  • you are living abroad and are registered here as an overseas voter
  • you are a blind or disabled person
  • you live in a residential care home
  • you will be away on an educational course on election day
  • you are self-employed and will be unable to go to the polling station because of your job
For some of these reasons you will need to get someone, such as your doctor or care nurse, to confirm what you are saying. If you are unable to get to the polling station, you should consider asking for a postal vote instead, as you do not have to give a reason for this or ask anyone else to vote for you.

How do I appoint someone to be my proxy?
You must find someone who is over 18 and is prepared to vote for you. You must include their details on your application form. They must sign your application form to confirm they are prepared to vote on your behalf.
Below you will find information regarding Polling reviews & other matters