Armed forces support

Useful information, resources and links to help the armed forces and veteran community, including their families and widow(er)s. This section also includes details of the Northumberland Armed Forces Forum and community covenant.

Northumberland County Council are committed to supporting the local Armed Forces community. This includes current and ex-service personnel, veterans, their families, and widowers.

Northumberland Armed Forces Forum

The Northumberland Armed Forces Forum develops links between the council, the Armed Forces, and relevant partners.

Forum members include:
  • Jeff Watson, Chairperson and Armed Forces Champion
  • Lt Col Miles Pennett, Co-Chair of the Armed Forces Forum
  • Gordon Castle, Vice Chair of the Armed Forces Forum and Veteran’s Champion 
  • Jonny Harrison, Outreach Worker:
    • Jonny is available to contact on 07966 337010
  • Fay McLellan, Outreach Worker:
    • Fay is available to contact on 07966 327142
  • Jackie Roll, Lead Officer for Armed Forces Support, and Democratic Services Manager:
  • Nichola Turnbull,  Admin Support 


The Covenant Fund

The Government and Ministry of Defence launched The Covenant Fund in August 2015.

It became an independent trust in April 2018. For more information, please click here to visit the Covenant Fund website.

Who can apply?
  • Registered charities
  • Local authorities
  • Schools and other statutory organisations
  • A Community Interest Company 
  • An Armed Forces unit with a UIN

Click here to find out more information about the covenant fund, and how to apply.

How to apply via the Northumberland Armed Forces Forum
We can vet local applications before they are submitted to the Ministry of Defence for approval.

We’d be happy to discuss whether or not we can help you with your application. 

Please contact Jackie Roll for more information:


Northumberland Community Covenant

This is a signed voluntary statement of mutual support between the council and representatives from the Armed Forces.

The Covenant aims to:
  • encourage local communities to support the Armed Forces community in their area
  • promote understanding and awareness of issues affecting the Armed Forces community
  • recognise and remember the sacrifices made by the Armed Forces community
  • encourage activities which help to integrate the Armed Forces community into local life
The Armed Forces Outreach Service supports members of the Armed Forces community. This includes those who have left (regardless of how long ago), or are leaving, reservists, and family members.

We have services across the whole of Northumberland to help you with housing, homelessness, benefits and debt advice (including Universal Credit), employment, and referrals to health services.

Armed Forces Outreach Service

If you are within your last 6 months of service, and you feel like you are at risk of homelessness or need general housing advice, please contact our experienced veteran Outreach Workers:

Jonathan Harrison
The Tyneside Outreach Service also covers South Tyneside, Newcastle, Gateshead, and Durham. 

Please click here to find out more about The Armed Forces Outreach Service.

If you need further information about council services, you can visit one of our Customer Service Centres, or call us on 0345 600 6400. 

Find out more about your local Customer Service Centre here.
Citizens Advice Bureau
For advice on money, benefits, housing, and employment.
Please call on 03444 111 444.

For advice and help with all elements of transition
Please call on 0166 182 5267.

Royal British Legion
For general care, disability, finance, and employment support, and help to connect with the community.
Please call on 0808 802 8080.

Veterans UK
For pension advice.
Please call on 0808 191 4218.

Northumberland Domestic Abuse Service 
Please call on 0143 460 8030 or 0143 441 6046.
Here you will find resources which detail help and support for the Armed Forces community. This includes information about benefits, carers, childcare, health and social care, housing, and employment.

General advice helplines

For general advice and information, call the free national helpline for in-service and ex-service personnel, their families, and widows:
  • 08000 223366
For local enquiries concerning education, health and social care, and housing:
  • please call us on 0345 600 6400
  • our opening hours are Monday to Friday, 8am to 7pm


Domestic abuse

If you are at risk of domestic abuse, please click here to visit our advice page.

PLEASE NOTE: You can leave the domestic abuse advice page by clicking the ‘HIDE THIS PAGE NOW’ button at any time.


Substance abuse

We support, coordinate, plan, and commission work to reduce drug and alcohol misuse within communities.

Please follow this link for guidance and treatment of alcohol and drug abuse.

The Army Families’ Federation

The Army Families’ Federation (AFF) is the voice of army families.

Please click here to visit the AFF website.


Please visit the Childcare section of our website here.
For advice about benefits and money management, please click on the links below:
For advice about mental health and disabilities in the Armed Forces community, please click on the links below:


Physical disabilities

The council’s Adult Services Team supports people with physical disabilities to live as independently as possible.

Please click here to find out more about our services for disabled adults.

Blue badge parking
The blue badge scheme provides parking concessions for people with severe mobility problems, who have difficulty using public transport.

Blue badge holders can use designated parking spaces, obtain free parking at parking metres and, in some circumstances, park on single or double yellow lines.

Please click here to find out more about blue badge parking.


Mental health

Mental health problems can affect anyone, impacting on sufferers, their family and friends. This includes worries, grief, post-traumatic stress disorder, and depression.

For help, please:

Local health and social care services

Please click the links below to access local services for ex-service personnel:


Specific health information

Please click the links below to access health advice for the armed forces: Please click here to find out more about the health and social care services that the council provides.


Care for the armed forces

Carers Direct
To access local service information for carers, call the Carers Direct helpline on 0300 123 1053.

Home care
Home care services provide support to people with an illness or disability who are having difficulty living independently at home. The support is usually offered in your own home in the form of equipment, a carer, or a meals-on-wheels service.

Please click here for more information about adult care services in Northumberland.
Please click on the links below to find out more about housing options, benefits and council services: Visit the websites below for advice and support about specific housing issues: Contact the SSAFA Housing Department at