On this page you will find frequently asked questions and answers relating to council tax.
Can I pay my council tax over 12 months?
Yes. The option is available to pay your council tax and business rates over 12 months, or the number of whole months remaining in the financial year.
- direct debit – you can pay on either the 1st, 15th or 28th of the month, set up your direct debit online here
- cash – you can pay over 12 months but only with an instalment date of the 1st of the month
What happens if I fail to pay my council tax?
We will take action to recover money owed. A reminder notice will be issued and if payment is not made, we can apply to the magistrates’ court for the issue of a summons, which will incur costs. Following this, if payment for the full balance due is still not made the court will issue a liability order, incurring further costs. This will then allow the council to enforce payment by either:
- deducting money from your earnings
- deducting money from income support, jobseekers' allowance and employment support allowance
- asking an enforcement agent to collect the money or remove goods to the value of the debt
- issuing a petition for bankruptcy
What should I do if I’m having difficulty paying my council tax?
Contact us immediately, don’t wait for recovery action to begin:
You may be entitled to council tax support. To find out if you are eligible, please contact our benefits section on 0345 600 6400 (charged at local rate).
Can I look at my bills online?
We are now offering a new service where customers can sign up to My Northumberland Account
. This will allow you to have your future council tax bills sent electronically. You will be able to access your council tax account where you can view your instalments, payments and check your balance.
Click here to register for My Account
An activation code will then be sent to your registered e-mail which you will need to enter to complete the registration.
Once registered you can add your council tax account using your council tax account number and unlock code on your bill.
I’m new to the area. How do I register to pay council tax?
How can I contact the council tax team?
If you require any further details, please contact us by:
Council Tax Section
Northumberland County Council