Northumberland has a variety of parks and gardens where local people can enjoy a day out in both urban and rural areas.
Coronation Park, found just to the north west of the train station is also known as Tommy The Miller's Park. It was planted and opened to the public as a park in the Spring 1937 for the coronation of King George VI, although it had been originally intended to celebrate the coronation of Edward VIII, before his abdication.
This is Northumberland's most northerly formal park, just one acre in size, bordered to the north by Castle Terrace and to the south by a privately owned grazing field known as Tommy the Miller's Field. This park contains beautiful herbaceous borders, a modern pergola and traditional shelter where you can admire stunning views of the River Tweed and excellent views of the White Wall of Berwick Castle. Berwick Castle was demolished in the 1840s by the North British Railway to complete the railway line from Edinburgh to Berwick.
In December 2012 the Northumberland County Council were awarded the main delivery stage grant of £890,700, which when matched with funding from Berwick Town Council, Northumberland County Council and in-kind volunteer time, brought the total project cost to £942,620.
Work on the parks started in March 2013, with the tree contract, which removed some trees that were found to be dangerous, inappropriately planted or self-sown; crown lifting and crown clearing others to remove dead wood and improve views; and removing ivy from some trees. The main construction phase of the project started in November 2013, and was completed in time for the parks to be reopened by Her Grace the Duchess of Northumberland on 31st July 2014.
A Parks Development Officer has been appointed as part of the project and is responsible for organising and leading events, volunteer activities and school and group visits to the parks, as well as for much of the maintenance of the parks.
Parks for People is a funding programme administered by the Heritage Lottery Fund and supported by BIG Lottery which aims to regenerate parks of national, regional or local heritage for the value and enjoyment of local people. The programme offers grants of between £250,000 and £5 million for projects which involve existing urban or rural green spaces designed for informal recreation and enjoyment, which are valued by local communities as part of their heritage. The parks must be freely accessible to members of the public, and actively involve local people in their running and activities. Find out more about Parks for People here.
A mixture of lawns, annual bedding and herbaceous borders, with trees such as monkey puzzle, gingko biloba and maple provide a beautifully colourful place to relax. A small aviary is located here, which houses birds rehomed by people who no longer want them.
Ha’ Hill is an 11th century motte and bailey that towers to the west of the formal gardens. It originally had a wooden tower at the top and was built to defend Morpeth from invasions. It’s a great place to view the gardens and the town. Steps to the top of Ha’ Hill are from Postern Woods and behind the sports area.
Ha' Hill is home to a small flock of rare breed Shetland sheep who help to manage the hill. Please don't feed the sheep as we need them to graze on the vegetation, and if you're taking dogs on to the hill please keep them under control.
Built in the 13th and 14th centuries, the castle replaced the tower on Ha’ Hill with a solid stone building. Following the siege of 1641, all that remains is the gatehouse and a small section of castle wall. The gatehouse was recently restored by the Landmark Trust and is now a popular holiday home.
Play areas and paddling pool
Carlisle Park contains one of the few remaining working paddling pools in the North East, which is popular with children of all ages. The play areas by the river are suitable for children aged up to 13. A toddlers-only play area is located on the south west border of the park.
Sports facilities and skate park
Just over the footbridge from the Riverside Leisure Centre, the bowling greens and tennis courts provide a space for sports activities. Please contact Active Northumberland at the leisure centre for all enquiries.
Extremely popular with skaters, bladers and BMXers, the skate park is between the tennis courts and Ha’ Hill, with access from the Ha’ Hill side. It is maintained by Morpeth Town Council.
William Turner Garden
A charming herb and knot garden created to celebrate the achievements of William Turner, the botanist born in Morpeth around 1508.
The best place to spot wildlife in Carlisle Park, the woodlands stretch from the River Wansbeck to the formal gardens. You might see fox, roe deer, rabbits or grey wagtails. Listen out for great spotted woodpecker, chiff chaff, robins and many other birds. Visit in spring for bluebells and wild garlic. Please let us know if you see a squirrel - red or grey.
In 1215, the Canons of the Priory of Hexham were given land for cultivation on the Sele. However, it was not until 1753 that the Sele was first opened to the public.
The town’s parks were extended in 1911 when the abbey grounds were purchased for the use of the local community, followed by the grounds of Hexham House being opened to the public in 1928. These three areas make up the town park, along with the small Church Flags area on Cowgarth.
Hexham’s war memorial was designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield in 1921 and is used as the focal point for the annual remembrance service.
The park offers a pleasant green space in the centre of Haltwhistle to reflect and unwind. Visitors are welcome to sit and enjoy the pleasant surroundings or read the names on the war memorial roll of honour and show their respects. The listening posts are pedal-powered devices which will tell you about the history of the area in the words of local people.
The park is situated in the busy town of Ashington in Northumberland and can be accessed from a number of main streets from the town centre. There are four entrances in total, two of which are both vehicular and pedestrian. All park entrances are DDA compliant.
The nearest bus stops are located on Hawthorn Road and Ashington bus station is a five minute walk. Car parking is available at the park, accessible from Fourth Avenue.
The park is currently open between 8.30am and dusk, seven days a week.
There are public toilets in Hirst Park Bowling Pavilion, open when the park keeper is on site. The nearest additional public toilets are approximately 300m west of the park.
The park provides a variety of recreational opportunities for the local community and is popular throughout the year. It is located less than five minutes’ walk from the town centre and there is a small on site car park, as well as street parking nearby.
Click here to let us know if you found the content of the page helpful
Choose the letter of the service you’re looking for
© Northumberland County Council