Top tips to keep your kids safe this Halloween
13 Oct 2017
Halloween is an exciting time for children, but trick-or-treating can become dangerous in a second.
Keep your children safe this autumn with top tips from David Sayer, Business Compliance & Public Safety Unit Manager at Northumberland County Council and Northumberland Fire & Rescue Service.
- Always check that children’s costumes carry the ‘CE’ mark
- Read any instructions and safety information carefully
- Don’t let children use naked flames - use LED lights instead of candles
- Make sure the child’s costume doesn’t drag on the ground
- Wear sturdy shoes for trick-or-treating
- Use a torch when walking alongside roads at night
- Make sure children can see through eyeholes in masks
- Ensure toy weapons are soft and flexible
In the case of a costume catching fire, remember STOP, DROP and ROLL.
- Stop what you’re doing
- Get the child onto the ground
- Roll them until the fire is completely out
- Call emergency services for the help that you require
For more useful tips, watch our short safety video below.